Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: limit of command length
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers limit of command length Post 302187121 by era on Saturday 19th of April 2008 10:12:33 AM
Old 04-19-2008
Probably it does, but there are many implementations, so if it is undocumented, you will have to experiment, or look at the source.

rexec is insecure and should be replaced by ssh if at all possible anyway.

Any command handled by the exec() system call needs to be less than ARG_MAX, which is a constant defined in the kernel. POSIX requires ARG_MAX to be 4,096 bytes, but on modern systems, it's usually significantly larger.

Shameless self-promotion: How long can the command line be?
This User Gave Thanks to era For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit command

I have installed vnc on my computer but do not want every one to be able to incite a vncserver how can I limit users of the vncserver command to only a specifc group? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep line length limit

Hi Friends, I am having a funny problem with grep. When I run grep 'expr' file.txt things work fine. But when try to get the line number using the -n option, i.e, grep -n 'expr' file.txt I get a message, "grep: 0652-226 Maximum line length of 2048 exceeded." If the line has more than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a limit to mget command?

Hi All, I am using a csh ftp to get all the relevant files i need. When i reduce the number of file to 4 (which is aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd), the script manage to get all the files i need. But when i add "eee" to the mget command, it doesn;t seem to get any files at all. Is there a limit to how many... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
0 Replies

4. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

~ IPTables : Limit Incoming UDP Packets With a Certain Length ~

Hello, I am currently trying to limit incoming UDP length 20 packets on a per IP basis to 5 a second using IPTables on a Linux machine (CentOS 5.2). Basically, if an IP is sending more than 5 length 20 UDP packet a second to the local machine, I would like the machine to drop the excess... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomboy123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK limit for (length) function?

I am trying to use the following code: awk '{s=$0;if(length(s) < 750){getline; s=s " " $0}printf("%s\n",s)}' filename but an error shows that 'awk' is too long. Is there a limit to the awk length function? and what could be an alternate solution for long fixed width records? The code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CKT_newbie88
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit of ls command in for loop

I am using the code below to list all the Errors files from the directory in the for loop. When the number of files are less then 6000 then it's works fine but if it more than that then for loop fails. for file in `ls $ERR_DIR/PPL_Prov_Engine_Error_*` do memrecno=`cut -f2 -d'|' $file` ||... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
6 Replies

9. Programming

Is there a limit for a code line length in C?

Is there any stabdard limitation on size of a code line in C code? I am interesting in UNIX limitation, particulary on SUN. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit string length with sed

Hi. I'm trying to learn sed. I want to limit the length of a string. I tried this: sed -n 's/^\(...........................\).*/\1/p' textfile.txt This works fine, but how do I give it as a range rather than putting a hundred dots? I'd like to limit the number of characters to 144 for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troglodytes
3 Replies
I3-INPUT(1)							     i3 Manual							       I3-INPUT(1)

NAME
i3-input - interactively take a command for i3 window manager SYNOPSIS
i3-input [-s <socket>] [-F <format>] [-l <limit>] [-P <prompt>] [-f <font>] [-v] DESCRIPTION
i3-input is a tool to take commands (or parts of a command) composed by the user, and send it/them to i3. This is useful, for example, for the mark/goto command. You can press Escape to close i3-input without sending any commands. OPTIONS
-s <socket> Specify the path to the i3 IPC socket (it should not be necessary to use this option, i3-input will figure out the path on its own). -F <format> Every occurence of "%s" in the <format> string is replaced by the user input, and the result is sent to i3 as a command. Default value is "%s". -l <limit> Set the maximum allowed length of the user input to <limit> characters. i3-input will automatically issue the command when the user input reaches that length. -P <prompt> Display the <prompt> string in front of user input text field. The prompt string is not included in the user input/command. -f <font> Use the specified X11 core font (use xfontsel to chose a font). -v Show version and exit. EXAMPLES
Mark a container with a single character: i3-input -F 'mark %s' -l 1 -P 'Mark: ' Go to the container marked with above example: i3-input -F '[con_mark="%s"] focus' -l 1 -P 'Go to: ' ENVIRONMENT
I3SOCK i3-input handles the different sources of socket paths in the following order: o I3SOCK environment variable o I3SOCK gets overwritten by the -s parameter, if specified o if neither are available, i3-input reads the socket path from the X11 property, which is the recommended way o if everything fails, i3-input tries /tmp/i3-ipc.sock The socket path is necessary to connect to i3 and actually issue the command. SEE ALSO
i3(1) AUTHOR
Michael Stapelberg and contributors i3 4.1.2 01/01/2013 I3-INPUT(1)