Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sort truncates line when they contain nulls Post 302186866 by jgrogan on Friday 18th of April 2008 09:45:08 AM
Old 04-18-2008
Hi

Most Unix utilities will have this problem...

If x'00' is to be considered a valid character in the body of your file, how would sort identify a 'true' end-of-line?

Do your records have an end-of-line marker other than x'00'?

Just my 2 cents...

JG

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREPing for Nulls

I just had a filesystem / file corruption issue on my HSP's server due to disk capacity limits and fileswapping. I discovered that certain files got corrupted when fileswapping was not successful and they ended up with a string of control characters, or what I believe to be nulls, in them. Does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. DOT
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS truncates the o/p

Hi , I have faced a strange situation in Solaris. the command ps -eo pid,args | grep 'SOMEPROCESS' truncates the output. outpt looks like 111 xxxxxxxxxxxxx SOMEPROCES 123 xxxxxxxxxxxxx SOMEPROCES 323 xxxxxxxxxxxxx SOMEPROCES The above doesn't return the complete command/args, infact if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: braindrain
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

who truncates the output? redirection? tty? Bug?

Hi, Output of running berkeley ps is truncated to 80 chars when using redirections. $ /usr/ucb/ps -e 12490|cat #truncated to 80 chars PID TT S TIME COMMAND 12490 pts/24 S 0:00 sleep 4000 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa getting longer lines is done by changing the stty $... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a file line by line alphabetically

infile: z y x c b a desired output: x y z a b c I don't want to sort the lines into this: a b c x y z nor this: c b a z y x The number of fields per line and number of lines is indeterminate. The field separator is always a space. Thanks for the use of your collective brains.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: H2OBoodle
11 Replies

5. Programming

Blanks vs: Nulls

I'm relatively new to Pro*C programming. In the following example: char name; EXEC SQL SELECT 'John Doe' INTO :name FROM DUAL; "John Doe" is in positions 0-7, blanks in 8-19, and a null in 20. I would really prefer the null to be in position 8 and I don't care what's after that. I wrote a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ebock
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

include NULLs in line length check

Hello, I am checking the length of each line of a fixed length file and making sure all lines are 161 length. My problem is that some files contain null characters which gets stripped out of my echo. How do I have the NULLs included in my check? (and I cannot replace or sub the NULL values with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironmix
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a line and Insert sorted word(s) in a line

Hello, I am looking to automate a task - which is updating an existing access control instruction of a server and making sure that the attributes defined in the instruction is in sorted order. The instructions will be of a specific syntax. For example lets assume below listed is one of an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayroc
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace nulls with a value in a file

Hi, I've a PIPE delimited file with about 5 fields. Sometimes the records in the 4th field is null, so I want to replace it based on values we get it on 2nd field in the same file. Following is an example. ABCD|X-TYPE 3.0|2010|X-TYPE|20000 CDEF|C-TYPE 2.5|2011|C-TYPE|10000 XYZ|LX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/bin/expect script truncates data

I have a script on a Linux machine that connects remotely, via telnet on a windows machine to launch several commands and colect their output. On the Linux machine the output of these commands is redirected in a file. The script: #!/usr/bin/expect log_user 0 spawn telnet 10.10.10.10... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
6 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } EXAMPLE
Read lines from a channel until we get to the end of the stream, and print them out with a line-number prepended: set lineCount 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineCount]: $line" } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)