Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: limit of command length
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers limit of command length Post 302186815 by Anta on Friday 18th of April 2008 07:02:18 AM
Old 04-18-2008
limit of command length

Hi!

Can you please help me with one question?

Does rexec command have some limitation of the length of the deliveded cmd?

Thanks in advance,
Anta

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit command

I have installed vnc on my computer but do not want every one to be able to incite a vncserver how can I limit users of the vncserver command to only a specifc group? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep line length limit

Hi Friends, I am having a funny problem with grep. When I run grep 'expr' file.txt things work fine. But when try to get the line number using the -n option, i.e, grep -n 'expr' file.txt I get a message, "grep: 0652-226 Maximum line length of 2048 exceeded." If the line has more than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a limit to mget command?

Hi All, I am using a csh ftp to get all the relevant files i need. When i reduce the number of file to 4 (which is aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd), the script manage to get all the files i need. But when i add "eee" to the mget command, it doesn;t seem to get any files at all. Is there a limit to how many... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
0 Replies

4. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

~ IPTables : Limit Incoming UDP Packets With a Certain Length ~

Hello, I am currently trying to limit incoming UDP length 20 packets on a per IP basis to 5 a second using IPTables on a Linux machine (CentOS 5.2). Basically, if an IP is sending more than 5 length 20 UDP packet a second to the local machine, I would like the machine to drop the excess... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomboy123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK limit for (length) function?

I am trying to use the following code: awk '{s=$0;if(length(s) < 750){getline; s=s " " $0}printf("%s\n",s)}' filename but an error shows that 'awk' is too long. Is there a limit to the awk length function? and what could be an alternate solution for long fixed width records? The code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CKT_newbie88
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit of ls command in for loop

I am using the code below to list all the Errors files from the directory in the for loop. When the number of files are less then 6000 then it's works fine but if it more than that then for loop fails. for file in `ls $ERR_DIR/PPL_Prov_Engine_Error_*` do memrecno=`cut -f2 -d'|' $file` ||... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
6 Replies

9. Programming

Is there a limit for a code line length in C?

Is there any stabdard limitation on size of a code line in C code? I am interesting in UNIX limitation, particulary on SUN. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit string length with sed

Hi. I'm trying to learn sed. I want to limit the length of a string. I tried this: sed -n 's/^\(...........................\).*/\1/p' textfile.txt This works fine, but how do I give it as a range rather than putting a hundred dots? I'd like to limit the number of characters to 144 for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troglodytes
3 Replies
REXEC(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  REXEC(3)

NAME
rexec -- return stream to a remote command LIBRARY
Compatibility Library (libcompat, -lcompat) SYNOPSIS
int rexec(char **ahost, int inport, char *user, char *passwd, char *cmd, int *fd2p); DESCRIPTION
This interface is obsoleted by rcmd(3). It is available from the compatibility library, libcompat. The rexec() function looks up the host *ahost using gethostbyname(3), returning -1 if the host does not exist. Otherwise *ahost is set to the standard name of the host. If a username and password are both specified, then these are used to authenticate to the foreign host; oth- erwise the environment and then the user's .netrc file in his home directory are searched for appropriate information. If all this fails, the user is prompted for the information. The port inport specifies which well-known DARPA Internet port to use for the connection; the call 'getservbyname("exec", "tcp")' (see getservent(3)) will return a pointer to a structure, which contains the necessary port. The protocol for connection is described in detail in rexecd(8). If the connection succeeds, a socket in the Internet domain of type SOCK_STREAM is returned to the caller, and given to the remote command as stdin and stdout. If fd2p is non-zero, then an auxiliary channel to a control process will be set up, and a descriptor for it will be placed in *fd2p. The control process will return diagnostic output from the command (unit 2) on this channel, and will also accept bytes on this channel as being UNIX signal numbers, to be forwarded to the process group of the command. The diagnostic information returned does not include remote authorization failure, as the secondary connection is set up after authorization has been verified. If fd2p is 0, then the stderr (unit 2 of the remote command) will be made the same as the stdout and no provision is made for sending arbitrary signals to the remote process, although you may be able to get its attention by using out-of-band data. SEE ALSO
rcmd(3), rexecd(8) HISTORY
The rexec() function appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD