Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to call one script frm another Post 302185131 by joeyg on Monday 14th of April 2008 09:54:05 AM
Old 04-14-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Calling is easy, returning info more complicated

To call a script, simply issue the command as you would type it at the normal prompt.

Code:
#script one
echo "hello"
#call second script
good_day
#say good-bye
echo "good-bye"
exit

#script good_day
echo "good day to you"
exit 0

The above are simplified, but hopefully show you the simple logic. The last line of 'exit 0' ends the program and returns an error code of 0.
Before my '#say good-bye' line, I could check for a returned value, with somthing like:
Code:
if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]
   then
      echo "A value was returned"
fi

So, you can pass something back as part of the error-handling ability of master programs and called programs.

Otherwise, the only other effective way I know of to pass data from a called program back to the master program is to write the information to a temporary file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reading frm text file

hi, Actually i have a text file which contain data in the following format: ---------------------------------- black pepper john barber steven johnson ------------------------------------ and the list goes on. I'm writing a c program that reads the text file and output the following... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanexxx
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

call shell script from perl cgi script problem

hi,, i have perl scipt with line : system('./try.sh $t $d $m'); in shell scipt try.sh i have the line: echo $1 its not printing value of $t that i hav passed..y is it so..i am running it from apache web server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

giving input to a python wch has been called frm shell script....urgent

i'm calling a python script from shell script. the python needs Y as an input everytime. how can i giv it thru shell script. I tried below code for arg in `cat erd_gen_list.lst` do generateErdSql.py -S $arg << Y done This is giving me err : `<<' unmatched pls help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vini
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to call a menu script and redirect each option to a text file

Hello, I want to design a script that will call an existing menu script and select options one by one and redirict the out put to a file. For example;- In the script MENU.sh there are 10 options i want to design a script MENU2.sh that will select option 2 3 4 6 7 10 and redirict the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spradha
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a Perl script within a bash script and store the ouput in a .txt file

I'm attempting to write a bash script that will create a network between virtual machines. It accepts three arguments: an RSpec that describes the network topology, and two list of machines (servers and clients). I have a (working) Perl script that I want to call. This Perl script takes an RSpec... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecaka
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to call another script based on second column entry

Hi I have a text file (Input.txt) with two column entries separated by tab as given below: aaa str1 bbb str2 cccccc str3 dddd str4 eee str3 ssss str2 sdf str3 hhh str1 fff str2 ccc str3 ..... ..... ..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to call and sort awk script and output

I'm trying to create a shell script that takes a awk script that I wrote and a filename as an argument. I was able to get that done but I'm having trouble figuring out how to keep the header of the output at the top but sort the rest of the rows alphabetically. This is what I have now but it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adkpqr] [-F pipe] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, do not sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -F pipe Immediately flush output after each write. This will allow a user to create a named pipe using mkfifo(1) and another user may watch the live session using a utility like cat(1). -k Log keys sent to the program as well as output. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start, stop and command status messages. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. -t time Specify the interval at which the script output file will be flushed to disk, in seconds. A value of 0 causes script to flush after every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are utilized by script: SCRIPT The SCRIPT environment variable is added to the sub-shell. If SCRIPT already existed in the users environment, its value is overwrit- ten within the sub-shell. The value of SCRIPT is the name of the typescript file. SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. The -d, -p and -r options first appeared in NetBSD 2.0 and were ported to FreeBSD 9.2. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when the terminal is in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. If script reads zero bytes from the terminal, it switches to a mode when it only attempts to read once a second until there is data to read. This prevents script from spinning on zero-byte reads, but might cause a 1-second delay in processing of user input. BSD
December 4, 2013 BSD