Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix command to cound the number of files in a folder Post 302184317 by manas6 on Friday 11th of April 2008 06:50:39 AM
Old 04-11-2008
Hi Duke

Thanks for the information its working.

I have one more clarification.

if I have a directory among the files and that particular directory have some more files. What to do in this regard.

I have tried with ls -R| wc -l
but it is giving the working count. Giving one extra couont.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by manas6; 04-11-2008 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: misstyped

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

unix C++: get the files from a folder

Hello everybody! How can I get the list of files from a folder in C++ (unix)? thanks in advance for any help! regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadiamihu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to learn the number of files under a particular folder, containing subfolders

Hi ALL I would like know how many files there under a particular folder, which contains subfolders. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX: Command to compress folder and all files into a tar

I am trying to grab a folder and all the folders and files underneath it and send it from one computer to another. I basically want to compress the whole folder into a tar, tgz, or zip file so that it can be sent as one file. is there a command to compress a folder and all its contents into a tar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kane4355
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command to count the number of files with specific characters in name

Hey all, I'm looking for a command that will search a directory (and all subdirectories) and give me a file count for the number of files that contain specific characters within its filename. e.g. I want to find the number of files that contain "-a.jpg" in their name. All the searching I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphysm
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop for number of files in a folder

Hi All, Need a for loop which should run for number of files in a folder and should pass the file name as parameter to another shell script for each loop. Please help me. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total number of files in the folder should be listed

Hi All, When i give the ls -lrt to list out all files with total number of files , i get the output as ls -lrt total 72 -rw-r--r-- 1 hari staff 796 Jul 11 09:17 va.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 hari staff 169 Jul 13 00:20 a.log -rwxr-xr-x 1 hari staff 659 Aug... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaihari
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX - command to count number of files in subdirectories

I have a folder named test/ and under that I have multiple directories and in each of the directory I have multiple log files. I want to know how many files exists under each sub directory. test |--quanrantine |--logfile1 |--logfile2 |--spooling |--logfile1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a folder with huge number of files in n folders

We have a folder XYZ with large number of files (>350,000). how can i split the folder and create say 10 of them XYZ1 to XYZ10 with 35,000 files each. (doesnt matter which files go where). (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk error when increasing number of files in folder

I have a folder with several files of which I want to eliminate all of the terms that they have in common using `awk`. Here is the script that I have been using: awk ' FNR==1 { if (seen++) { firstPass = 0 outfile = FILENAME "_new" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
PWD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd -- return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-L | -P] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes the absolute pathname of the current working directory to the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin pwd command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. The options are as follows: -L Display the logical current working directory. -P Display the physical current working directory (all symbolic links resolved). If no options are specified, the -L option is assumed. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by pwd: PWD Logical current working directory. EXIT STATUS
The pwd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), getcwd(3) STANDARDS
The pwd utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
In csh(1) the command dirs is always faster because it is built into that shell. However, it can give a different answer in the rare case that the current directory or a containing directory was moved after the shell descended into it. The -L option does not work unless the PWD environment variable is exported by the shell. BSD
April 12, 2003 BSD