Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing empty folders using the "find" command Post 302178567 by ShawnMilo on Tuesday 25th of March 2008 09:31:08 PM
Old 03-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishmaths
You can use the below command

Code:
find ./ -type d -exec rmdir 2>/dev/null {} \;

The above will remove all empty directories from the current directory.
To clarify this, the rmdir command should fail if the directory isn't empty. So by ignoring error messages (redirecting them to a black hole, /dev/null), you will successfully delete the empty ones and the non-empty ones shouldn't be in any danger.

It would probably be a good idea to put dummy data into a directory and try to use rmdir on it, just to make sure your environment behaves this way. But it's the default, so it should be fine.

ShawnMilo

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check input = "empty" and "numeric"

Hi how to check input is "empty" and "numeric" in ksh? e.g: ./myscript.ksh k output show: invalid number input ./myscript.ksh output show: no input ./myscript.ksh 10 output show: input is numeric (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders using 'find'

Hey there! I try to use 'find' to remove empty directories like this: find . -depth -type d -empty -exec rm -rf {} ';' It works just fine, but there are some directories i want to exclude. So i tried to do sth like this: find . -depth -type d -empty -exec grep -v "not this one please" -exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deTTo
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "find" and "grep" command

I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' (mind the leading blank). In a first approach I coded: find / -exec ls -ld {} | grep -v ' /proc/| /sys/' \; > /tmp/list.txt But this doesn't work. I got an error (under Ubuntu): grep:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies
rmdir(1)						      General Commands Manual							  rmdir(1)

NAME
rmdir - remove directories SYNOPSIS
dir ... DESCRIPTION
removes the directory entry for each dir operand that refers to an empty directory. Directories are removed in the order specified. Consequently, if a directory and a subdirectory of that directory are both specified as arguments, the subdirectory must be specified before the parent directory so that the parent directory will be empty when tries to remove it. Removal of a directory requires write and search (execute) permission in its parent directory, but no permissions on the directory itself; but if the sticky bit is set on the parent directory, only the owner of the directory, the owner of the parent directory, or a user having appropriate privileges can remove the directory. Options recognizes the following options: Force each directory to be removed without prompting for confirmation, regardless of the presence of the option. This option also suppresses diagnostic messages regarding non-exis- tent operands. This option does not suppress any diagnostic messages other than those regarding non-existent operands. To suppress all error message and interactive prompts, the option should be used while redirecting the standard error output to This option ignores any previous occurrence of the option. Write a prompt to the standard error output requesting confirmation before removing each directory. This option ignores any previous occurrence of the option. Path removal. If, after removing a directory with more than one pathname component, the parent directory of that directory is now empty, removes the empty parent directory. This continues until encounters a non-empty parent directory, or until all components of the original pathname have been removed. When used in conjunction with the option, asks whether to remove each directory component of a path. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If is unset or null, the default value of "C" (see lang(5)) is used. If any of the internationalization variables contains an invalid setting, will behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. determines the interpretation of dir names as single and/or multi-byte characters, the classification of characters as printable, and the characters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error and informa- tive messages written to standard output. determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
Generally self-explanatory. Note that the option does not suppress all diagnostic messages. EXAMPLES
To remove directories with a prompt for verification: directories To remove as much as possible of a path, type: SEE ALSO
rm(1), rmdir(2), stat(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
rmdir: SVID2, XPG2, XPG3, XPG4 rmdir(1)