Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change HostName
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change HostName Post 302177928 by nalina on Monday 24th of March 2008 04:37:02 AM
Old 03-24-2008
# uname -a
prdaeatm prdaeatm 4.0 3.0 3518 Pentium IV(TM)-ISA/PCI

# ifconfig
usage: ifconfig interface | -a [addr_family]
[ address [ dest_addr ] ]
[ up ] [ down ]
[ netmask mask ]
[ broadcast bc_addr ]
[ metric n ]
[ mtu n ]
[ arp | -arp ]
[ no1323opt | -no1323opt ]
[ link0 | -link0 ] [ link1 | -link1 ] [ link2 | -link2 ]
[ debug n ]
[ alias addr | -alias addr ]
[ perf recv send full-size ]

# ndd
UX:sh: ERROR: ndd: not found

# host
Usage: host [-w] [-v] [-r] [-l] [-d]
[-t querytype] [-c class] [-a] host [server]
-w to wait forever until reply
-v for verbose output
-r to disable recursive processing
-d to turn on debugging output
-t querytype to look for a specific type of information
-c class to look for non-Internet data
-l to list the entire domain
-a is equivalent to '-v -t *'

# hostid

# more /etc/resolv.conf
domain
nameserver 127.0.0.1

There is no utility call NETWORK-SETUP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to change hostname and ip in solaris

Dear all, I am going to change the IP address and hostname in my solaris, but I don't know how to do it. If you have any idea or suggestion, please fell free to let me know. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, ( running solaris 8 ) I know how to change the hostname temparily, by login in as root typing hostname = xxxxx but, this obviously goes when the system is rebooted. I'm not sure what files need changing to make this a permant change. Could anyone help me please? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Change IP and Hostname

Hello.. I wanted to know how to change IP and Hostname on HPUX system, and I don't want to make it as NIS master either. Could someone tell me the files I need to modify and make sure it's on network? Thanks! :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, I asked this question whenI was running solaris 8 and got some very good answers. I've just uograded to Solaris 10 and there seems to quite a few changes so I need to know again. https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=8547 ------------ Hi (now solaris 10) I know how to change the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Change hostname in Solaris 9

Please anyone guide me how to change the hostname in Solaris 9? The IP of the machie is fetched from a DHCP server. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
6 Replies

8. Linux

how to change hostname permanentaly

i want to change my hostname permanentaly in my Fedora core 6. could any one tell me how it is possible .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

10. Solaris

change hostname in SUNOS 5.10

What file I need to edit if I need to change hostname in SUN OS 5.10 Please advice ....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman1
1 Replies
expanded_node_host_names(5)					File Formats Manual				       expanded_node_host_names(5)

NAME
expanded_node_host_names - enable maximum length expansion of the system node and host names VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed Values DESCRIPTION
The tunable controls the length of the system node and host names. When this tunable value is 0, the system utilities used to set node and host names allow compatible name lengths. That is, 8 and 64 bytes for node and host name, respectively. When this tunable value is 1, the utilities allow expanded lengths up to 255 bytes. Changing this tunable does not affect the current system node and host names. Node and host names larger than 8 and 64 bytes, respectively, can cause anomalous or incorrect behavior in applications using these names. See the WARNINGS section for more information. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? The system administrator may change this tunable when it is necessary to change the maximum allowed length of the system node and/or host names. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is dynamic. Changing its value to 1 immediately allows the administrator to assign expanded (up to 255 bytes) node or host names. Changing its value to 0 enforces the compatible maximum of 8 and 64 byte node and host names on any subsequent name setting but does not affect the current name settings. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? This tunable may be raised to 1 when it is necessary to assign an expanded node and/or host name. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? Raising the tunable value to 1 causes the system utilities used to set node and host names to allow names up to 255 bytes. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? This tunable should be lowered to 0 when it is determined that expanded node and host names are not necessary. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Lowering the tunable value to 0 causes the system utilities used to set node and host names to allow names up to 8 and 64 bytes, respec- tively. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. APPLICATION USAGE
For more information on usage see the whitepaper WARNINGS
Node and host names in excess of 8 and 64 bytes, respectively, can cause anomalous behavior or failure in applications using these names. The administrator should read and understand the issues as described in the related documentation (see the whitepaper and nodehostname- size(5)). Warnings are always issued from the tunable handler when this tunable is changed. When this tunable value is 0 (off), the system interfaces and commands which set node and host names quietly truncate inputs to 8 or 64 bytes, respectively. This behavior is consistent with previous versions. There is no error nor warning provided. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
hostname(1), uname(1), setuname(1M), gethostname(2), sethostname(2), uname(2), hostname(5), nodehostnamesize(5). whitepaper, available on Tunable Kernel Parameters expanded_node_host_names(5)