Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: top for Solaris 10
Operating Systems Solaris top for Solaris 10 Post 302177092 by raman1605 on Thursday 20th of March 2008 03:16:01 AM
Old 03-20-2008
Question top for Solaris 10

I need some information for the top statistics being displayed in Solaris 10

they look like the following

Code:
CPU states: 92.0% idle, 3.3% user, 4.7% kernel, 0.0% iowait, 0.0% swap
Memory: 8192M real, 216M free, 9208M swap in use, 1236M swap free

I need to know what does 0.0% swap means. As swap being used is high in the case above compared to free, does that affects the performance of the system as other systems show lower swap in use but there also its like 0.0% swap.

Please comment for this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BOX Status with vmstat & top Solaris 2.8

Hi there, I´m trying to get the information of vmstat & top in two different logfiles. That not that difficult. vmstat 30 >> myfile.log top >> myfile2.log But I also like to include a timestamp every 30 sec to be sure from what date the logs are. For the Top command I were able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isacs
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How to Install Solaris 10 on top of Windows system

Hi Guru's, Since Iam learning Solaris 10 and want to instal it on to my computer in which 'Windows' is already installed. Also many other applications including Oracle, Java etc,. were also installed associated with Windows. Now how can I install Solaris 10 on my system with out affecting my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Solaris

syslogd 30% utilization in top, solaris 9

Hi folks, Sorry to barge in and ask a question right off the bat without contributing first. I have a V440, 4 X 1GHZ, 32GB ram, and recently syslogd has started showing 30+ % cpu usage. It's also repeating entries in the syslog, over and over. the /var/log/syslog file had grown to over 2GB - I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chugheshc
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Top Command

hi all anyone can help me to enable top command on solaris 9 version Regards (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: maooah
9 Replies

5. Solaris

Looking for the top Solaris specific commands

I am changing jobs and need to know a little about Solaris specific commands. I come from AIX and we have commands like errpt, smit, and lsattr that are AIX specific. Any help is appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: biznatch
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory usage, free and used, using sar, top and vmstat in Solaris zone/container

Hi all, I have a server running an Oracle database that is part of a Solaris M5000 container. Presumably this is referred to as a zone within a cluster, not sure if I get the terminology right. Anyway, a third-party manages the zone and unfortunately is not "helpful/friendly" to assist me on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Solaris

HELP - memory usage on Solaris : ps -efl and top

Hi all, OS Version: SunOS <hostname> 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6340 I need some expert guidance on investigating memory usage on Solaris. I want to know whether am interpreting the output from ps -efl correctly and whether the command top is showing the right... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Crontab & TOP output

Hello Guru's I'm trying to take the output of solaris top command and output to a txt file every few minutes. The issue that I'm experiencing is that I can run the following: #!/bin/bash # logfile="/usr/mvf/morris/top.log" # echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlemorris
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris memory reported incorrectly by top

Hi guys, I got an issue today with one of my servers. The guy is reporting by top only 1.8 available Gig for physical memory. I see my processes and they don't even get to 15Gigs, I have 64 physical Gigs. Details Memory: 64G phys mem, 1820M free mem, 32G total swap, 32G free swap I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
4 Replies
KVM_SWAPINFO(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   KVM_SWAPINFO(3)

NAME
kvm_getswapinfo -- return swap summary statistics for the system LIBRARY
Kernel Data Access Library (libkvm, -lkvm) SYNOPSIS
#include <kvm.h> int kvm_getswapinfo(kvm_t *kd, struct kvm_swap *, int maxswap, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The kvm_getswapinfo() function fills an array of kvm_swap structures with swap summary information for each swap device, for up to maxswap - 1 devices. The number of devices, up to maxswap - 1, is returned. A grand total of all swap devices (including any devices that go beyond maxswap - 1) is returned in one additional array entry. This entry is not counted in the return value. Thus, if you specify a maxswap value of 1, the function will typically return the value 0 and the single kvm_swap structure will be filled with the grand total over all swap devices. The grand total is calculated from all available swap devices whether or not you made room for them all in the array. The grand total is returned. The flags argument is currently unused and must be passed as 0. If an error occurs, -1 is returned. Each swap partition and the grand total is summarized in the kvm_swap structure. This structure contains the following fields: char ksw_devname[]; int ksw_total; int ksw_used; int ksw_flags; Values are in PAGE_SIZE'd chunks (see getpagesize(3)). ksw_flags contains a copy of the swap device flags. CACHING
This function caches the nlist values for various kernel variables which it reuses in successive calls. You may call the function with kd == NULL to clear the cache. DIAGNOSTICS
If the load average was unobtainable, -1 is returned; otherwise, the number of swap devices actually retrieved is returned. If the name of the swap device does not fit in the static char buffer in the structure, it is truncated. The buffer is always zero termi- nated. SEE ALSO
kvm(3) BSD
January 22, 1999 BSD