Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change HostName
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change HostName Post 302176914 by sad_angle on Wednesday 19th of March 2008 02:39:32 PM
Old 03-19-2008
How old is this NCR?

I fired up an old NCR cash register in the basement.

If you are operating in paranoid mode, none of the host information will be shown (change it with the key switch, using the machine's key). Host name with NCR is established with the license agreement upon installation.

Please post
# uname -a
# ifconfig
try the command
# ndd
# host
# hostid
# more /etc/resolv.conf

NCR comes with a utility command called NETWORK-SETUP

Generally, if NCR does not get a host name, it defaults to local host.

This is the max I can help with.

Good luck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to change hostname and ip in solaris

Dear all, I am going to change the IP address and hostname in my solaris, but I don't know how to do it. If you have any idea or suggestion, please fell free to let me know. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, ( running solaris 8 ) I know how to change the hostname temparily, by login in as root typing hostname = xxxxx but, this obviously goes when the system is rebooted. I'm not sure what files need changing to make this a permant change. Could anyone help me please? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Change IP and Hostname

Hello.. I wanted to know how to change IP and Hostname on HPUX system, and I don't want to make it as NIS master either. Could someone tell me the files I need to modify and make sure it's on network? Thanks! :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, I asked this question whenI was running solaris 8 and got some very good answers. I've just uograded to Solaris 10 and there seems to quite a few changes so I need to know again. https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=8547 ------------ Hi (now solaris 10) I know how to change the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Change hostname in Solaris 9

Please anyone guide me how to change the hostname in Solaris 9? The IP of the machie is fetched from a DHCP server. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
6 Replies

8. Linux

how to change hostname permanentaly

i want to change my hostname permanentaly in my Fedora core 6. could any one tell me how it is possible .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

10. Solaris

change hostname in SUNOS 5.10

What file I need to edit if I need to change hostname in SUN OS 5.10 Please advice ....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman1
1 Replies
hostname(1)						      General Commands Manual						       hostname(1)

NAME
hostname - set or display name of current host system SYNOPSIS
[name_of_host] DESCRIPTION
The command displays the name of the current host, as given in the system call (see gethostname(2)). Users who have appropriate privileges can set the hostname by giving the argument name_of_host; this is usually done in the startup script The name_of_host argument is restricted to characters as defined in The system might be known by other names if networking products are supported. See the node manager documentation supplied with your sys- tem. WARNINGS
If the name_of_host argument is specified, the resulting host name change lasts only until the system is rebooted. To change the host name permanently, run the special initialization script (see Many types of networking services are supported on HP-UX, each of which uses a separately assigned system name and naming convention. To ensure predictable system behavior, it is essential that system names (also called host names or node names) be assigned in such a manner that they do not create conflicts when the various networking facilities interact with each other. The system does not rely on a single system name in a specific location, partly because different services use dissimilar name formats as explained below. The and commands assign system names as follows: +--------------+---------------+----------------+---------------------------+ |Node Name | Command | name Format | Used By | +--------------+---------------+----------------+---------------------------+ |Internet name | hostname name | sys[.x.y.z...] | ARPA and NFS Services | |UUCP name | uname -S name | sys | uucp and related programs | +--------------+--------------+---------------+-----------------------+--|Node-+-Name-------|Command-------+ |name Format |Used By | +--------------+--------------+---------------+-----------------------+ |Internet name |hostname name |sys[.x.y.z...] |ARPA and NFS Ser- vices | |UUCP name |uname -S name |sys |uucp, related programs | +--------------+--------------+---------------+-------- --------------+ where sys represents the assigned system name. It is recommended that sys be identical for all commands and locations and that the optional follow the specified notation for the particular ARPA/NFS environment. Internet names are also frequently called host names or domain names (which are different from NFS domain names). Refer to hostname(5) for more information about Internet naming conventions. Whenever the system name is changed in any file or by the use of any of the above commands, it should also be changed in all other loca- tions as well. Other files or commands in addition to those above (such as if used to circumvent for example) may contain or alter system names. To ensure correct operation, they should also use the same system name. System names are normally assigned by the script at start-up, and should not be altered elsewhere. Setting a hostname of more than 64 bytes is possible only with the appropriate configuration options enabled. It is strongly recommended that all related documentation be completely understood before setting a larger hostname. A hostname larger than 64 bytes can cause anoma- lous or incorrect behavior in applications which use the command or the system function to access the name. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
uname(1), gethostname(2), sethostname(2), uname(2), hostname(5), nodehostnamesize(5). hostname(1)