Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get return value from C program and logs to file Post 302174425 by kunnilmanvya on Tuesday 11th of March 2008 05:30:17 AM
Old 03-11-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Is this u need....try this

echo "Running program output"
myLine="./add 1 11"
`expr "$myLine"` > outputfile
echo "Succ/Fail:$?"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture C program return values in Kshell

I have a K shell script (ksh) that needs to return an email address. A C program was written (prog1) to now access the email address off of an oracle table. The call to the program in the ksh is prog1 -p parm1 Based on Parm1 the program will read an oracle table and retrieve the email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trapping program return code

Hello I have a program (prog) that accepts a parameter in order to execute some internal loop grabbing memory in each iteration. I'm using top to monitor the memory usage and to produce an output. Thus I need the program's pid as a parameter to top. I capture pid using myPID=$!. I'm also... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavlosgr
5 Replies

5. Programming

Parallel Processing Detection and Program Return Value Detection

Hey, for the purpose of a research project I need to know if a specific type of parallel processing is being utilized by any user-run programs. Is there a way to detect whether a program either returns a value to another program at the end of execution, or just utilizes any form of parallel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azar.zorn
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Program: How to FTP logs from a Server to Desktop

Hi guys, Good day! Anyone there could suggest on how can I create a program that will get (ftp) the logs I need from a remote Server (running in Linux) into my Desktop (running in Windows 7). For Perl program suggestions, FYI that I'm using Active Perl version. The reason why I need this one is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to end the program with a successful return code?

i have the follow shell script that try to find any file in the specified path and upload to oracle. if no file will output in the concurrent log and the program return as error , how do i change the program so that if no file found will give out normal sucessful result. i tried change the exit... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilhk
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File command return wrong filetype while file holds group separator char.

hi, I am trying to get the FileType using the File command. I have one file, which holds Group separator along with ASCII character. It's a Text file. But when I ran the File command the FileType is coming as "data". It should be "ASCII, Text file". Is the latest version of File... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arpitak29
6 Replies

9. Programming

Segment fault for C++ program when return vector

I am trying to reverse complement DNA sequence (string) with a short c++ code using boost library. Code was compiled without any warning/error, but ran into Segmentation fault. My guess is the function to return a vector, but not sure. #include <iostream> #include <fstream> #include <string>... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-m] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. -m When used with -o, will also omit any processes that have the same argv[0] and argv[1] as any explicitly omitted process ids. This can be used to avoid multiple shell scripts concurrently calling pidof returning each other's pids. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)