Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to use SFTP from command line without entering user and password Post 302171305 by grial on Thursday 28th of February 2008 05:45:35 AM
Old 02-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman2
However this is the public key which I don't want to use. I want to use the private key so that noone else can log in.
Anyway, you look a little bit confused about how public key cryptography
works... Public-key cryptography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might also want to use "expect" instead...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Copy without entering Username and Password

I tried the following script to copy one file automatically: #!/bin/csh -f su - root -c "rcp 150.10.128.1:/export/home/sn408Xl/sn408Sol/$fn $fn This works fine but is there a better way to copy remotely without entering the username and password? Moreover, after the file is copied a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilak1008
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Entering secret password

Hello All, I am trying to write a script when executed, asks you for the password, and confirm password; it should save to a file and also entered password should not be in clear text on the console - should be as **** Can somebody give me direction in writing this in shell? Thanks Chiru (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
4 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Specify password in SFTP command

Hi, How can I specify a password on the scp command line so that it should not prompt for the password? Shabu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP using user id and password

Hi, I am using below syntax - sftp -b passwordfile userid@ipaddress passwordfile is a file, in which I have just kept a password of userid. But by this, an error is coming like - Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive). Please suggest me on this..as I dont... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monalisa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute command in remote server without entering password?

Hi, i want to run the command in remote server through ssh and every time when i run the script its asking to enter the password. I dnt want to enter the password, when i enter the ip address and directly the command shuld execute. Script: #!/bin/bash echo "Enter Server IP Address:" read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bapu1981
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a command line with another user without prompts for password

Hi, I'm writing a script, in the script I need to use tcpdump to capture some packets however it needs root priviledge my computer is configured by school and I have no real root priviledge so I can't use sudo on my computer,like Code: sudo tcpdump ...... I have to use a limited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esolve
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In put password automatically to sftp command

Hi all, i have to sftp a file to another server I don't have "expect" or sshpass on my machine its solaris 10, i want to pass password in command line or after doing this sftp user@server how to automatically provide the password as input ( stored in some variable or so) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zozoo
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Connect to remote server using sftp with password define within command/script

I am trying to connect to remote server in hp-ux, using sftp command (using sftp username@ip and password ) able to connect to remote server but, in this case sftp prompt for password and user need to manually enter it. I want sftp can read a password define in script or from file, so it can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Not getting command prompt after entering the login password

Hi All, I am not able to get the command prompt after entering the login password on solaris server Only access is through console. Server type : sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12 bsnl-north-in > ssh 10.147.17.207 jtoin Connecting to 10.147.17.207 as user jtoin Password: Last login: Wed Mar 5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_kmehra
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one line command to create and set password for new user...

Using useradd abc --password password (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagruti Rml
5 Replies
dxchpwd(1X)															       dxchpwd(1X)

NAME
dxchpwd - Create or change password program SYNOPSIS
dxchpwd dxchpwd -r | -l dxchpwd [-r | -l] -q dxchpwd [-r | -l] -u username OPTIONS
If dxchpwd is invoked without any options, it is assumed that the current user's password is to be changed. The following options are also accepted: Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a Local user. This can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a NIS user. This can only be done from a NIS master and can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd to query the user for the user name of the account whose password is to be changed. Tells dxchpwd to change this user's password. DESCRIPTION
The dxchpwd command lets you change your password. When you invoke the dxchpwd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Your new password must meet the length requirements specified by the authorization database for the user whose password is being changed. If your system is running with enhanced security, you may have to choose a password from a list of randomly generated passwords or you may be prohibited from changing your password until its minimum lifetime has expired, as specified in the authorization database. EXAMPLES
The following example requests that the password be changed for user smith: dxchpwd -u smith FILES
Password file Protected Password Database dxchpwd executable SEE ALSO
X(1X), xdm(1X), passwd(1) dxchpwd(1X)