Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Update compressed archive (TAR) Post 302170631 by brendan76 on Tuesday 26th of February 2008 06:28:55 AM
Old 02-26-2008
Update compressed archive (TAR)

Is it possible to update a file in a compressed archive.tgz using the tar app without uncompressing/extracting, update and compressing/creating ?

Code:
tar -uvzf archive.tgz ./file.txt
tar: Cannot update compressed archives
Try `tar --help' for more information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archive (tar)

Hi, I want to archive below directories ex: /home/oracle/ddd0 /home/oracle/ddd1 /home/oracle/ddd2 I want a command(tar) which will let me archive the above directories excluding *.dmp(dump files), *.log(log files) in those directories. So the archived file doesn't have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Q: tar archive help

hey how do you create a archive and add file to an existing archive. i keep getting an error: dir/#: No such file or directory currently using tar -cvfu name.tar files files searching from a word document each line having different file extention. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nookie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff on compressed files with tar.gz ext

how can I find out what is the difference between two tar.gz files without uncompressing them. thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of compressed files in a tar.gz archive

Hi Folks, I have a tar.gz compressed file with me, and I want to know the number of files in the archive without uncompressing it. Please let me know how I can achieve it. Regards RK Veluvali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrk1219
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive::Tar problem

Hello, I have a problem using Archive::Tar. it seem very trivial but i cannot get it work. First I have a list of files I grab from a directory. Then I create a tar archive and write the files into the archive. everything works great, except that I cannot properly extract the files. What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all tar and compressed file

Hi, I'm trying to find all tar and compressed files (say gzip). I'm having to assume that the tar and gzip files may or may not have the correct extension (.tar .gz .tgz etc). Any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
2 Replies

8. Linux

tar archive

I have made tar archive of my system.. How can I make that tar archive to be bootable.. simply to install new linux from the archived tar file.. thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressed and tar file integrity

How can I ensure the folder that I tar and compress is good to be archive in DVD or tape? Must I uncompress and untar the file, or there is any way to tell the integerity of the compressed file before send to archive? I have bad experience on this, which the archive compressed file cold not be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to download compressed archive zips in bulky automatically using wget?

How to download in bulky compressed (zip, 7z, bzip, xz, etc) archive files from a repository automatically by use of wget ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
3 Replies
tar_extract_all(3)						  C Library Calls						tar_extract_all(3)

NAME
tar_extract_all, tar_extract_glob, tar_append_tree - high-level tar archive manipulation functions SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> int tar_extract_all(TAR *t, char *prefix); int tar_extract_glob(TAR *t, char *globname, char *prefix); int tar_append_tree(TAR *t, char *realdir, char *savedir); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The tar_extract_all() function extracts all files from the tar archive associated with the TAR handle t into the path named by the prefix argument. The tar_extract_glob() function extracts all files matching the given glob pattern from the tar archive associated with the TAR handle t into the path named by the prefix argument. The tar_append_tree() function appends all files from the directory tree named by realdir to the tar archive associated with the TAR handle t. The pathnames stored in the tar archive are modified by replacing realdir with savedir, so that the files will be extracted into savedir. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, these functions will return 0. On failure, they will return -1 and set errno to an appropriate value. ERRORS
These functions will fail under the same conditions that the tar_skip_regfile(), tar_extract_regfile(), opendir(), lstat(), or tar_append_file() functions fail. SEE ALSO
opendir(2), lstat(2), tar_skip_regfile(3), tar_extract_regfile(3), tar_append_file(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 tar_extract_all(3)