Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand Post 302169772 by alex_5161 on Friday 22nd of February 2008 12:42:25 PM
Old 02-22-2008
bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts.
Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) :
exec
eval
source

I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much.
Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is is not usefull
Would it be any different result in environment after using any of these command?
Where and for what purpose each should be used?
How and is there any difference to use those from interactive shell or from script?

Greately appreciate your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between source, exec and ./script

What is the difference between sourcing a script, running it or execing it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status of eval exec

I am using ksh88 and I am trying to catch the return status of opening a file using a file descriptor and the exec and eval commands. However I am not having much success. Here is what I have: eval "exec $next_fh>$1" This opens the file if the file is $1 is valid, however I want to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robotball
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exec bash shell via PHP Site !

Hi everybody ! I writed php code so exec bash shell via php (SMS Send via bash shell) but i have problem as follow : 1. When i exec from linux mode : ./sms.sh --- output is "Messages ... OK". Then all message has been sent. 2. When i exec from PHP site --- return value is "Message ... OK" on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamthenhan
1 Replies

4. Programming

help me understand exec() family of calls...

how does exec() do it? on successful call of exec() family of functions, they never return... how to i emulate that. assume the standard example, execl("/bin/ls","ls",NULL); now this would never return. i m trying to emulate exec()'s never to return feature... #include<unistd.h>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

6. Programming

Need help with this c++ source code! DOnt understand what some stuff mean.

Okay so I am just starting programming c++. I just started started to red "C++ for Dummies yesterday and theres a lot of things I do not understand from this book and this source code especially. I will first post the full source code and then post questions about certain thing, usually what they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orszhak
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand use exec command

Hi i am in learning phase of unix. i was going through exec in a unix book. below is the command exec n>file exec n>>file however when i used the exec command like below , where ex is the file name exec 2>>exand then do ls -lrt then again when i do the ls -lrt to see the size of the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies

8. Programming

Help me to understand strange 'typedef ... ' in some source...

Working on some source I've found some strange declaration in included header file. I am looking for someone's help to understand me that syntax's, as it is fine (it is compiled without any complain,) but for me it seems out of any sense! Acctually, it warning by CC compiler: " Warning: Implicit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Comment code blocks in a bash source file

Just began to learn on Shell Script. I got an exercise from my friend. I know how to make this happen in C, but I'm not familiar with Shell Script. Hope I can get some help from all of you. I want to write a bash script to comment code blocks in a bash source file. What I mean comment is '#', I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HiFuture0801
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)