Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [NewBie] Create User Profile
Operating Systems Solaris [NewBie] Create User Profile Post 302169633 by yewping on Thursday 21st of February 2008 09:24:33 PM
Old 02-21-2008
[NewBie] Create User Profile

Hi

i am a newbie on Sun Solaris system. for the above topic, creating a user profile for telnet, ftp through command line, may i know what the command is? and the way of creating the user profile.?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Changing user profile - Newbie question

Hi guys, I am very very new to AIX, (actually today I entered an AIX server for the first time), but I have worked with Solaris a little bit in the past. Today when I entered the system, the first thing I realized is that there was no "/home/" directory created, and instead it took me to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panchopp
1 Replies

2. Solaris

how I create my .profile

Hello Sir, I m new user in unix.Please help me to create my dot profile. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nirmal
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie problem with simple script to create a directory

script is: dirname= "$(date +%b%d)_$(date +%H%M)" mkdir $dirname should create a directory named Nov4_ Instead I get the following returned: root@dchs-pint-001:/=>./test1 ./test1: Nov04_0736: not found. Usage: mkdir Directory ... root@dchs-pint-001:/=> TOO easy, but what am I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwfay
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create and load my own .profile

Hello to everyone, This is my first that I use any group in order to find a reply to my question. I would really like your help!!! Do you know how can I create my own .profile file in unix (not edit the existing one) and how can I load it when i open a new bash? I would like those settings... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unbalanced
1 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Firefox create new profile in non default location

Could someone please explain how to setup a new firefox profile in non default location from the command line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Create a new user from using existing users profile

Hello, Just wanting to know if it is possible. Also I am new to command line. I am running 5.1b, if that matters. Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcha
10 Replies

9. Red Hat

Connect Direct - XSMG242I -Create user profile - sdsc_create failed

HI, I have two Linux servers on which IBM Sterling ConnectDirect is installed. I want to transfer a file from server(abc20) to abc19. I have edited userfile.cfg & netmap.cfg on both the server still file transfer is not happening. Also the file is getting transferred from abc20 to abc20 itself... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABM_CD
5 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)