Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: boot failure-init died
Operating Systems HP-UX boot failure-init died Post 302169477 by vbe on Thursday 21st of February 2008 12:18:00 PM
Old 02-21-2008
I would start by seeing if I can boot manually in single user:

boot <pri>
interact with IPL > yes
and at ISL prompt > hpux -is

If that works, then try to mount the vg00 filesystems...
Then check for any corruption in files like /etc/inittab /etc/ioctl,syscon etc... their timestamps etc...
look at
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 278528 May 20 1998 /sbin/init

If all seems normal try init 2
then init 3 ...
If things do wrong again after changing runlevel start all again but once mounted vg00 edit /etc/initta and comment out from powerf line
and change runlevel again or execute the line commented out one after the other...till you fall on the one giving trouble...

Good luck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

WARNING - exit init (PID1) died.

Hi, Today, on one of my SCO machines, i was getting the following: PANIC : exit cannot exec /etc/init (PID1). I used two floppy boot/root disks to boot from floppy. I followed the procedures to restore the files: /usr/lib/libc.so.1 and /etc/init. When I reached the part of making... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

What file contains boot up init details?

I want to get my telnetd to run on startup and was wondering where it was? im used to having it in /etc/init.d/rc.d but it is not the same in hp-ux :( thanks all (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
4 Replies

3. Linux

Boot failure

Hi all I used a dual boot operating system and it works fine for me. Now , i install a Ati radeon 9250 Agp card on my system and this results in boot failure of fedora 6. The graphics card is working fine with windows XP , i.e i have no compatibility issues.The system also refuses to boot when i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Boot failure

I have installed Solaris 10 OS in Sun Virtual Box that uses x86 32 bit system. After an abnormal shutdown i'm getting the following message on the console when i try to boot. SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_127128_11 32-bit Copyright 1983-200 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserrved. Use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
3 Replies

5. SCO

stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

hi SCO Unix 5.0.6 doesn't boot due to this problem: not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot Knows someone howto solve it? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
16 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 init 0 and boot disk1 on same command line

Hello all, Fairly simple question here. I know that in Solaris 10 there is a way to tell a system running solaris 10 to init 0 and then boot disk1 all in the same command line from a SSH window. That way once you hit enter it then performs the init 0 and then does the boot disk1. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tording99z28
2 Replies

8. AIX

what user executes init on boot?

I have a command in init that trys to start a daemon and open a log, but a get an error error that the file access permissions do not allow the specified action. My permissions on the log file are: -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 4434 Mar 22 15:13 dsmerror.log The logfile is written to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pong3d
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot up failure unix sco after power failure

hi power went out. next day unix sco wont boot up error code 303. any help appreciated as we are clueless. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredthayer
11 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 boot failed init

Dear all, I have a solaris 10 in my environment (VMware virtual machine). recently I increased the harddisk size from the VMware and reboot my server. after reboot the os is unable to boot and gives the below error message. exec(/sbin/init) file not found press any key to restart ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna001
3 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. Example 1: Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2: Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix /var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. 11 Apr 2005 reboot(1M)