Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers change target of a symbolic link Post 302167121 by dandyrandy on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 01:13:08 PM
Old 02-13-2008
change target of a symbolic link

Hi,

Is it possible to change the target of a symbolic link?

What I currently have is:
/home/Data1
/home/Data2
/home/Stores

In the Stores directory, I did: ln -s /home/Data1 /home/Stores/abc
$ pwd
/home/Stores
$ ls -latr
lrwxrwxrwx 1 dandy dandy 46 Feb 12 16:38 abc -> /home/Data1

I want to now change that target to:
abc -> /home/Data2

BUT, I don't want to do have to delete the link and re-create it to the new target. I just want to rename/change/modify the target. Is it possible?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ZIP a soft / symbolic link target

Hey, How can one ZIP the target of a soft/symbolic link in unix (if dodag@ is a symbolic link for the path car/reno/*.*, how can I zip car/reno/*.*, with using only dodag as my reference)? Thxnk you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change reference of symbolic link

Hello all, I am trying to recursively find symbolic links for a given name find . -type l -name ABC -exec ls -ltr {} \;where ABC refers to /user/fre/crmso/share I want to replace the reference of initial part of directories from /user/fre/crmso to /user1/amx/seamBut want to accomplish... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving the target of a symbolic link

Hello all, On a Solaris box, I am trying to move the target of a symbolic link. Let's say the symbolic link looks like the following: /dir1/dir2/link -> /some/dir/target I would like to know of a simple way to move the target of the symbolic link and not the link itself. I'd like to move... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
4 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2: Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3: Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4: Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.10 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)