Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Previous command
Operating Systems HP-UX Previous command Post 302166529 by vbe on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 05:16:22 AM
Old 02-12-2008
What shell are you using?

On hpux normally it would be Esc+k (previous, previous...) or Esc +j (forward...)

Or you can type history...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting the previous command

Hello all I'm on SunOS5.9 and I'm trying to make the arrow keys work as in DOS ..get the previous command , etc .. I searched this site and got an answer. I pasted the following code to my .kshrc file in my home directory...It still does not seem to work ...Am I missing anything here ? I'm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Seeing previous command

Guys, In work we have just gotten a new HP 9000 server and I'm trying to set it up so that if I press <Up arrow> key I can see the command I typed in last(and press enter to run it again). Can anyone advise how to set this up. One friend suggested I touch a file called .toucheditXXXX (I cant... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackieChan
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Previous Command

We have a Solaris Server and I am acessing it through telnet to run various commands for my data validation like GREP, SED, AWK etc. My requirement is how do i use the previous command that was executed. I tried the option 'ESC' and then 'k'. It displays the characters like '^[[A' etc. How do I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Previous Command

We have a Solaris Server and I am acessing it through telnet to run various commands for my data validation like GREP, SED, AWK etc. My requirement is how do i use the previous command that was executed. I tried the option 'ESC' and then 'k'. It displays the characters like '^[[A' etc. How do I... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Previous Command

We have a Solaris Server and I am acessing it through telnet to run various commands for my data validation like GREP, SED, AWK etc. My requirement is how do i use the previous command that was executed. I tried the option 'ESC' and then 'k'. It displays the characters like '^[[A' etc. How do I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

previous,next command in unix

Hi , after pressing down arrow,up arrow I want to find previous,next command in unix wat can i do for tat plz tell me I am accesing unix server thru telnet. my shell prompt ksh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulkumar
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat previous unix command

Hi all, Is there a way to bring back the previous unix command without retyping? I tried the "arror up" key, and it seems not working (sun solaris). What is the correct way? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syang68
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referring from the print of the previous command

Hi, I am a newbie in SHell Programming. I want to ask something about referring the result of the previous command in Shell-Prog. For example : bnm@dsds~> ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:CD:85:A5:8A inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.225 Mask... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobb
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date command - getting previous month

Hi, On any given day, I want to capture the month that has gone by - said otherwise, how do I capture last month? expr date '+%m' - 1 Above expression is giving error. Please advise thanks ---------- Post updated at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:11 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving previous command in a script

i know from the command line, the symbol $_ is used to get the last command that was run. however, id like to replicate this within a script. meaning, how do i do something like this: #!/bin/sh ps -ef | egrep talling StoreThisLastCommandA=$_ awk '/error/ {print $3}' /tmp/test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)						   Fvwm Modules 						FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)

NAME
FvwmConsoleC.pl - Command editor for fvwm command input interface SYNOPSIS
FvwmConsole -e /usr/X11/lib/fvwm/FvwmConsoleC.pl COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1996, Toshi Isogai. No guarantees or warranties are provided. Use this program at your own risk. Permission to use this program for any purpose is given, as long as the copyright is kept intact. DESCRIPTION
FvwmConsoleC.pl offers editing capabilities while the user is entering the line. By default, the line editing commands are similar to those of emacs. It also offers substitution , which replaces a pattern to a string before it sends the command. FUNCTIONS
Functions are bound to a key or key combination to be invoked. The followings are functions available and their default key bindings. bind Meta-k, Ctrl-x Ctrl-b List up key bindings and substitutions. boh Move to the beginning of history. boh_ign_mode Esc-< Move to the beginning of history. If it is in search mode, continue. bol Home, Ctrl-a Move cursor to the beginning of the line. bs[(n)] BackSpace, Ctrl-h Backspace n times. default of n is 1. cancel Ctrl-x Ctrl-k Cancel the current input. del_back_line Delete the line from the beginning to the cursor. del_back_word Ctrl-w Delete the word from the beginning to the cursor. del_char [(n)] Delete, Ctrl-d Delete n characters from the cursor to the right. Default of n is 1. del_forw_line Ctrl-k Delete the line from the cursor to the end. del_forw_word Meta-d Delete the word from the cursor to the end. del_line Ctrl-u Delete the entire line. enter Enter, Ctrl-j, Ctrl-m Perform substitution if applicable and send the line to fvwm. enter_wo_subst Meta-Enter Send the line to fvwm without any substitution. eoh Move to the end of history. eoh_ign_mode Esc-> Move to the end of history. If it is in search mode, continue. eol End, Ctrl-e Move the cursor to the end of line. ins_char (str) Insert string at the cursor. ins_last_word Esc-. Insert the last argument of the previous command at the cursor. ins_nth_word Meta-[1..9] Insert the n-th argument of the previous command at the cursor. list_func Meta-l List up available editing functions. next_char Right, Ctrl-f Move the cursor to the next character. next_line Down, Ctrl-n Move to the next line in history. next_word Meta-f Move the cursor to the next word. prefix Wait for the next character typed in for multi-key binding. prev_char Left, Ctrl-b Move the cursor to the previous character. prev_line Up, Ctrl-p Move to the previous line in history. prev_word Meta-b Move the cursor to the previous word. quote Ctrl-q Insert the next character typed into the buffer literally. search Ctrl-s Search pattern in history. search_rev Ctrl-r Search pattern in history in reverse order. subst Meta-s Substitute all patterns to strings and reprint the line. The substitutions are not nested and performed in the order that they are defined. CONFIGURATION
The key binding can be overridden or defined in fvwm module configuration. *FvwmConsole: Key ck prev_line Non-space character sequence need not be quoted. In order to undefine, omit the last argument. *FvwmConsole: Key ck Note that non-meta character is case sensitive. c means control key, e means escape, and m is alt key. It also accepts Subst configuration. Users often input long fvwm command repeatedly. Subst will replace particular input sequence to user defined string. Example: *FvwmConsole: Subst '^bigx' 'Exec xterm -g 120x60+0+0 -fn 10x20 -fg black -bg lemonchiffon' Typing 'bigx<return>' in FvwmConsole will launch xterm. '^' denotes the beginning of line in regular expression. 'pl' in the middle of the command will not be replaced. Although the format looks different, it takes Perl regular expression. It just uses single or double quote as the delimiter. Single or double quotes have no difference, although they have to match, and cannot include itself in the string. *FvwmConsole: Subst '^gs*(d+)' 'Desk 0 0 GotoPage 0 $1 Focus' Entering 'g4' or 'g 4' will jump to desk 0 page 0 4 and focus. INVOCATION
FvwmConsoleC.pl should be invoked by FvwmConsole. SEE ALSO
FvwmConsole(1x), perlre(1) AUTHOR
Toshi Isogai 3rd Berkeley Distribution 09 May 2010 (2.5.30) FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)