Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User History and commnad log
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers User History and commnad log Post 302166120 by otheus on Monday 11th of February 2008 03:01:28 AM
Old 02-11-2008
There's another thread on this board about command logging. There's the "rootsh" package (available from sourceforge), but you have to replace selected user's shells. If you're running BSD, the lastcomm package will work if accounting is turned on (apparently). If you're running Solaris, there's an accounting and reporting package there too (see other thread).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to delete history for a particular user

Hi All, Whenever I log in to my terminal and execute some cmds and then I type "history", I get the list of all the commands that I have executed. I want to know where is the history been stored (any path location ?) Secondly,if I want to delete the history or some part of the history, can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to access all user history file

Team , using fc command we can get details of our history file .. Is it possible to get the same result for different user from root.. Actually I need to collect all the stuff from select users history file for day to day basis. thanks in advance .. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgpai9972
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User History

How do I pipe serveral commans that will list only the user ids, sort the output, and remove any duplice name entries for those that have logged in in the past month? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

access user history as root

Hi, I need to access a user's command history. However, the dilemma is that he is logged in and so his current history is not yet flushed to .bash_history file which gets flushed when he logs out. Is there a way I can still access his most recent history? thank you, S (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sardare
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Command History for a user with IP details

Hi We are sharing our envoirnment with our component teams. the plateform is SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-41 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490. All team logs in the domain with same user and perform activities. Now for the system auditing purpose can somebody guide me how can I get the details when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhvinder_Tm
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command history of a particular user in a multiuser environment

Is it possible to find out the history of recently typed in commands of a particular user in a multi user system? the history command expects a numeric argument with it. is it possible to find out the history o commands of a particular user say John_smith for example? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies
LASTCOMM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       LASTCOMM(1)

NAME
lastcomm -- show last commands executed in reverse order SYNOPSIS
lastcomm [-f file] [command ...] [user ...] [terminal ...] DESCRIPTION
lastcomm gives information on previously executed commands. With no arguments, lastcomm prints information about all the commands recorded during the current accounting file's lifetime. Option: -f file Read from file rather than the default accounting file. If called with arguments, only accounting entries with a matching command name, user name, or terminal name are printed. So, for example: lastcomm a.out root ttyd0 would produce a listing of all the executions of commands named a.out by user root on the terminal ttyd0. For each process entry, the following are printed. o The name of the user who ran the process. o Flags, as accumulated by the accounting facilities in the system. o The command name under which the process was called. o The amount of cpu time used by the process (in seconds). o The time the process started. o The elapsed time of the process. The flags are encoded as follows: ``S'' indicates the command was executed by the super-user, ``F'' indicates the command ran after a fork, but without a following exec(3), ``C'' indicates the command was run in PDP-11 compatibility mode (VAX only), ``D'' indicates the command terminated with the generation of a core file, and ``X'' indicates the command was terminated with a signal. FILES
/var/account/acct Default accounting file. SEE ALSO
last(1), sigaction(2), acct(5), core(5) HISTORY
The lastcomm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
December 22, 2006 BSD