Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Accepting filename as command line param and writing to it Post 302164921 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 6th of February 2008 07:59:53 AM
Old 02-06-2008
Show your entire script. Have you make your script executable with chmod?

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

find command using -mmin param

Hi Everyone, I would like to know how to find a file which was created in the period of 20+ hours, in most common unix OS, the parameter -mmin is not supported (i.e, HP-UX, Solaris, LInux, AIX) Could you help on this ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmbeltran
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command param subst to reg expression

I want to find out Row which starts with, the user specified details to a script. In general I know what command to be given. awk '$0~/^Vi/' BReject But I need to pass on $1 param of command line at the place of 'Vi'. I tried with -v subst=$1 awk -v subst=$1 '$0~/^subst/' BReject But it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading a file and writing the file name to a param file.

Hi All, Not sure if this would be in a dummies sectiin or advanced. I'm looking for a script if someone has doen something like this. I have list of files - adc_earnedpoints.20070630.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070707.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070714.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070721.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thebeginer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing into one line

hi i have a file contains data Line timeout: START->SIGNON_REPLY, SIGNON_REPLY->SIGNON, Received SOT req SOT request: SIGNON->SOT_REPLY, SOT_REPLY->DATA_RECEIVE, DATA_RECEIVE->EOD, i need to write into one line , separated by commas please help thanks Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filename extensions..from command line

I want to change the extensions of a folder full of files (some of the files are located in subfolders as well) to another extension, but instead of replacing the files I want the new files to be copied into a newly created folder. Here is the folder structure: /Downloads/3eb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bound4h
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep not accepting variable filename

I have a very basic shell script right now, and I am trying to run grep from inside of it. It looks like this: #!/bin/sh filename=$1 echo "The program that you will be editing is called $filename" grep "//" $filename The name of said file is "myscript" for right now. I am executing it on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bdrelling
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving newlines when writing loops on the command line in bash

Dear All, I have a question that's been difficult to get an answer to. I often write command line loops, e.g. find files, print name, grep for term, apply sed, etc I use both zsh and bash. When I write a loop e.g. for line in `more myfile.txt` > do > echo $line > done but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnK1
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accepting command line arguments in bash

I have this tcsh code that I want to convert to a bash script. Basically it accepts command line arguments supplied by the user and stores them, so they can be used to run a C++ program. set arg_browseDir_inFileLst = "" set allArgsUpCase = `echo "$*" | tr '' ''` set opt_browseDir_flag =... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a filename as a command line argument

Hi,I have a script which is given below :#!/bin/bash. ini_script.shdb2 connect to $DB_NAME user $DB2_UID using $DB2_PASSWORDfor file in `ls -1 ./sql/ddw/`do echo "Executing the file $file" echo db2 -tvf $filedonedb2 quiti want this script to accept directorie's names present in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not accepting variable in shell script

I am using a shell script in fedora linux. While calling to the shell I am also passing an argument (var1=0.77) like shown below sh gossip.sh var1=0.77 in the shell following command is written (which doesn't work) sed - i -e 's@prob=@prob="$var1";//@g' file.txt Actually i want the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fakhar Hassan
7 Replies
POPEN(3)								 1								  POPEN(3)

popen - Opens process file pointer

SYNOPSIS
resource popen (string $command, string $mode) DESCRIPTION
Opens a pipe to a process executed by forking the command given by $command. PARAMETERS
o $command - The command o $mode - The mode RETURN VALUES
Returns a file pointer identical to that returned by fopen(3), except that it is unidirectional (may only be used for reading or writing) and must be closed with pclose(3). This pointer may be used with fgets(3), fgetss(3), and fwrite(3). When the mode is 'r', the returned file pointer equals to the STDOUT of the command, when the mode is 'w', the returned file pointer equals to the STDIN of the command. If an error occurs, returns FALSE. EXAMPLES
Example #1 popen(3) example <?php $handle = popen("/bin/ls", "r"); ?> If the command to be executed could not be found, a valid resource is returned. This may seem odd, but makes sense; it allows you to access any error message returned by the shell: Example #2 popen(3) example <?php error_reporting(E_ALL); /* Add redirection so we can get stderr. */ $handle = popen('/path/to/executable 2>&1', 'r'); echo "'$handle'; " . gettype($handle) . " "; $read = fread($handle, 2096); echo $read; pclose($handle); ?> NOTES
Note If you're looking for bi-directional support (two-way), use proc_open(3). Note When safe mode is enabled, you can only execute files within the safe_mode_exec_dir. For practical reasons, it is currently not allowed to have .. components in the path to the executable. Warning With safe mode enabled, the command string is escaped with escapeshellcmd(3). Thus, echo y | echo x becomes echo y | echo x. SEE ALSO
pclose(3), fopen(3), proc_open(3). PHP Documentation Group POPEN(3)