Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 'find' and 'tar' combination
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 'find' and 'tar' combination Post 302164849 by V3l0 on Wednesday 6th of February 2008 04:17:52 AM
Old 02-06-2008
You command "find /mnt/LOGS -mtime -10 -name "TUXLOG.*" -exec tar -cvf /mnt/LOGS/combine.tar {} \;" with the "-c" recreate for each file founded par find another "combine.tar".

Better way to create a temporay file :
Code:
find /mnt/LOGS -mtime -10 -name "TUXLOG.*" > combine.lst
tar -cvf /mnt/LOGS/combine.tar -L combine.lst

WARNING: If /mnt/LOGS/combine.tar already exists, you must use "tar -uvf" ... Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Combination of gunzip and tar on Solaris

Hello I'm trying to use a combination of gunzip and tar to unpack and unzip a *.tar.gz file. I tried gunzip ~/myfile.tar.gz | gtar -x This will unzip the file, but it won't unpack. Any hints? thanks a lot Dan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwidmer
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with find and tar

When I am doing the first command the result shows all the files, links, directories except the ones that contain the word logs find . -type f -o -type l -o -type d | grep -v logs But when I am trying to do this even the logs are getting tarred tar -cvf fdtvision.tar `find . -type f -o -type l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combination of find -xargs & wc -l

Dear all, I have to calculate sum of record count of files of the specified directory. First I tried the following way which prints one or more outputs. How can I sum of this output? find /home/work/tmp/1/O/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 wc -l | grep total 1666288 total 1073908 total ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and find combination

Hello All, I'm trying the following:find . -name "*" -exec grep -ln "IsAlpha" {} \; It gives me file names only (having string "IsAlpha"), I want to get line numbers also, something like this: test 1: Line 52 test 1: Line 95 etc Is it possible to obtain using grep & find only. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex find and replace only 1st instance string with dynamic combination

test.txt is the dynamic file but some of combination are fix like below are the lines ;wonder_off = ;wonder_off = disabled wonder_off = wonder_off = disabled the test.txt can content them in any order #cat test.xt ;wonder_off = ;wonder_off = disabled wonder_off = wonder_off =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Tar a Folder

Hi all, I have created a function that looks for a folder in a particular directory, checks the date it was last modified and if its old then compress it. This works fine for files using gzip. However for folders I had to use tar. This is my function: compressOldFolder() { # $1 is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TasosARISFC
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using find for variable combination of perms

Hi, I'm trying to use find in kshell (AIX) to find all files with perms of write for other AND any execute bit set. e.g: r--r-x-w- would qualify and rw-rw--wx would qualify but ---rwxr-xr-x wouldn't qualify So far, I've been trying something like this: find . -type f -perm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanp36
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help ASAP - FIND - TAR - GZIP

Hi, I need to combined in 1 line the execution below : find * -type f -mtime -$nb_days -print | xargs tar -cvf $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar gzip $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar.gz The fact that the TAR is very big, at the end I need to generate only the GZ file. The option z on the tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royinfo.alain
2 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)