Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: comm command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting comm command Post 302164575 by V3l0 on Tuesday 5th of February 2008 09:43:38 AM
Old 02-05-2008
Not good Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comm, command help

See my other post on sdiff .... I don't think sdiff is able to do what I want. The 'comm' command does what I need and works fine as far as the logic and results. The problem I'm having is with the output format, it outputs 3 columns of data, but because of the way it starts each line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowpoke
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

comm command in sorting IP

i have 2 files that contains a sorted list of IP addresses. file_A contains a list of all IPs file_B contains only around 50% of what is in file_A. I tried to execute comm -23 file_A file_B > file_C to get the difference. My objective is to put all the IPs that are in file_A but not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tads98
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in comm command

Hi all, I need help in comm command , I am having 2 files . I have to display the common line in the two file only onnce and i have to also display the non common line as well. tmpcut1 -- First file cat tmpcut1 smstr_303000_O_432830_... f_c2_queue_sys30.sys30 RUNNING 10 1000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on COMM command please

could some one please explain with examples how comm -12 & comm -3 works. I am confused with manual page, Thankyou. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HPUX and comm command

I need to compare 2 files. I need to see if 1 file has records that are not in a second file. I did some searching and found the 'comm' command. According to the man pages comm -23 test1.txt test2.txt Will tell me what is in file 1 and not in file 2. So I did a simple test test1.txt has the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with comm command

Hello , I am trying to get contents which are only present in a.csv ,so using comm -23 cat a.csv | sort > a.csv cat b.csv | sort > b.csv comm -23 a.csv b.csv > c.csv. a.csv SKU COUNTRY CURRENCY PRICE_LIST_TYPE LIST_PRICE_EFFECTIVE_DATE TG430ZA ZA USD DF ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RaviTej
4 Replies

7. Linux

comm command help

The manual does not cover this very well. What do the following compares will do ? 1) comm -13 file1 file2: will it display what is in file2 not in file1? 2) comm -23 file1 file2: will it display what in 1 but not in 2 ? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding formatting(comm -23 command)

Hello all , I have two files a.txt and b.txt which have same content . They contain data that is fetched from database through a java program. When I delete a line in a.txt and run the below command comm -13 a.txt b.txt I am not getting the expected result i.e. the line i deleted from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RaviTej
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to ignore Case with in COMM command?

Hi, How can i ignore case between 2 files in unix using COMM command. 2 input files are: -bash-4.1$ more x2.txt HELLO hi HI raj -bash-4.1$ more x3.txt hello hi raj COMM command: -bash-4.1$ comm x2.txt x3.txt hello HELLO hi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Highlight 'comm' command output

Given the output below (simplified) extracted from the comparison of two curl -I commands saved in two different files, I am looking for the best approach to highlight the following scenarios in a script: this header exists only in file1.txt but this one does not this one exists in both cases... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muppets
1 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) characters in length. BSD
January 26, 2005 BSD