Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: comm command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting comm command Post 302164328 by matrixmadhan on Monday 4th of February 2008 12:55:15 PM
Old 02-04-2008
comm works on sorted files

Is file2 sorted ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comm, command help

See my other post on sdiff .... I don't think sdiff is able to do what I want. The 'comm' command does what I need and works fine as far as the logic and results. The problem I'm having is with the output format, it outputs 3 columns of data, but because of the way it starts each line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowpoke
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

comm command in sorting IP

i have 2 files that contains a sorted list of IP addresses. file_A contains a list of all IPs file_B contains only around 50% of what is in file_A. I tried to execute comm -23 file_A file_B > file_C to get the difference. My objective is to put all the IPs that are in file_A but not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tads98
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in comm command

Hi all, I need help in comm command , I am having 2 files . I have to display the common line in the two file only onnce and i have to also display the non common line as well. tmpcut1 -- First file cat tmpcut1 smstr_303000_O_432830_... f_c2_queue_sys30.sys30 RUNNING 10 1000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on COMM command please

could some one please explain with examples how comm -12 & comm -3 works. I am confused with manual page, Thankyou. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HPUX and comm command

I need to compare 2 files. I need to see if 1 file has records that are not in a second file. I did some searching and found the 'comm' command. According to the man pages comm -23 test1.txt test2.txt Will tell me what is in file 1 and not in file 2. So I did a simple test test1.txt has the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with comm command

Hello , I am trying to get contents which are only present in a.csv ,so using comm -23 cat a.csv | sort > a.csv cat b.csv | sort > b.csv comm -23 a.csv b.csv > c.csv. a.csv SKU COUNTRY CURRENCY PRICE_LIST_TYPE LIST_PRICE_EFFECTIVE_DATE TG430ZA ZA USD DF ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RaviTej
4 Replies

7. Linux

comm command help

The manual does not cover this very well. What do the following compares will do ? 1) comm -13 file1 file2: will it display what is in file2 not in file1? 2) comm -23 file1 file2: will it display what in 1 but not in 2 ? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding formatting(comm -23 command)

Hello all , I have two files a.txt and b.txt which have same content . They contain data that is fetched from database through a java program. When I delete a line in a.txt and run the below command comm -13 a.txt b.txt I am not getting the expected result i.e. the line i deleted from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RaviTej
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to ignore Case with in COMM command?

Hi, How can i ignore case between 2 files in unix using COMM command. 2 input files are: -bash-4.1$ more x2.txt HELLO hi HI raj -bash-4.1$ more x3.txt hello hi raj COMM command: -bash-4.1$ comm x2.txt x3.txt hello HELLO hi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Highlight 'comm' command output

Given the output below (simplified) extracted from the comparison of two curl -I commands saved in two different files, I am looking for the best approach to highlight the following scenarios in a script: this header exists only in file1.txt but this one does not this one exists in both cases... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muppets
1 Replies
COMM(1) 							   User Commands							   COMM(1)

NAME
comm - compare two sorted files line by line SYNOPSIS
comm [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Compare sorted files FILE1 and FILE2 line by line. When FILE1 or FILE2 (not both) is -, read standard input. With no options, produce three-column output. Column one contains lines unique to FILE1, column two contains lines unique to FILE2, and column three contains lines common to both files. -1 suppress column 1 (lines unique to FILE1) -2 suppress column 2 (lines unique to FILE2) -3 suppress column 3 (lines that appear in both files) --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --output-delimiter=STR separate columns with STR --total output a summary -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. EXAMPLES
comm -12 file1 file2 Print only lines present in both file1 and file2. comm -3 file1 file2 Print lines in file1 not in file2, and vice versa. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report comm translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
join(1), uniq(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/comm> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) comm invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 COMM(1)