Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file comparison script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file comparison script Post 302162835 by earnstaf on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 09:47:06 AM
Old 01-30-2008
Code:
for file in `ls folder_a`
do
cat $file | while read line
do
grep -q $line folder_b/fixed.txt
if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
     echo "$file - $line not in fixed.txt"
     echo "$line" >> folder_b/fixed.txt
fi
done
done

I'm sure there are fancier ways, but something along those lines would get the job done.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with time comparison shell script for HP-UX

I am using Korne Shell in HP-Ux. Can someone give me and idea on how I can write a shellscript on how to do this please:- On our HP-UX server, a batch file is run every evening at about 6:30pm. The first step of this batch file will touch an empty "flag" file to indicate that the batch has... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gummysweets
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in writing a comparison shell script

I have a folder a1 with the following files sample_1.log sample_2.log sample_3.log sample_4.log sample_5.log sample_6.log In another folder there is a file b with the value 5 My script should take the value 5 ( file b), compare it with the files in folder a1, if file name contains... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nagesh1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do row comparison in shell script

Hi, I need help on doing the below thing in shell script. I have a file with millions of rows called "abc.txt". i have another file with millions of rows called "xyz.txt". I would like to do the below operation. Open the abc.txt, read the first line, do some operations on the column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: informsrini
2 Replies

4. Solaris

String Comparison in Shell script

I Have a script which gets the status of oracle database and if the status is READ WRITE ..it should echo "db is up " else "db is down" Here is the code if then echo "db up" else echo "db down" fi done; The script is giving me out put "db down" even thoug the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: njafri
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparison in shell script

Hi, I have written one script : #!/bin/bash echo -n -e "\nEnter how many files : " read no for (( j=1; j<=$no; j++ )) do echo -n -e "\nEnter $j File name : " read name done for (( j=1; j<=$no; j++ )) do FILE=`find ./ -type f -name "${name}"` echo "$FILE" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_j
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell script comparison

I have a scenario to implement in Korn shell script. Here it is.. I need to compare two values to see whether they are same or not. The issue is that the values coming in for comparison can be a string or an integer which can be determined during run time only. Which korn shell comparison... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vani123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date comparison script

hi, I have a file named user.cfg under /var/member/ #user.cfg file under /var/member/ login user: root #how are you login pass: admin #where are you M: user1 pass1 #20121008 M: user2 pass2 #20111230 M: user3 pass3 #20091220 M: user4 pass4 #20070210 M: user5 pass5 #20130708 M:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison between two files through UNIX script

Hi All , As I am new to unix scripting ,I need a help regarding unix scripting .I have two .txt files .One is source file and another is target file.I need a script through which I can compare those two files.I need a automated comparison report in a directory after comparing between source &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding comparison between two files through UNIX script

Hi All , I am aware of unix command ,but not comforable in putting together in script level.I came to situation where I need to compare between two .txt files fieldwise and need a mismatch report. As I am new to unix script arena ,if anyone can help in the below scenario that will be really... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please hel me with file comparison script

Hi All, I have two files(file1.txt and file2.txt) and also file names which are presented in the files also present in the directory gdir/db/files. file1.txt /db/day_files/data_feed20161231 /db/day_files/data_feed20161229 /db/day_files/data_feed20161125... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PAPAS
1 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -exEX3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 The -E and -X are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (i.e., changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by "<<<<<<" and ">>>>>>" lines. For example, suppose lines 7-8 are changed in both file1 and file2. Applying the edit script generated by the command "diff3 -E file1 file2 file3" to file1 results in the file: lines 1-6 of file1 <<<<<<< file1 lines 7-8 of file1 ======= lines 7-8 of file3 >>>>>>> file3 rest of file1 The -E option is used by RCS merge(1) to insure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's atten- tion. FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/libexec/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 DIFF3(1)