Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file comparison script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file comparison script Post 302162753 by tiger99 on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 01:41:27 AM
Old 01-30-2008
file comparison script

Hi
I need to write a script that can check files in a folder one by one and compare against a fixed file.

i.e.
I have some files in folder_a
file1.txt
file2.txt
file3.txt
and a fixed file in folder_b
fixed.txt

Inside the fixed.txt, I have
line1.sql
line2.sql
line3.sql

Inside the file1.txt, I have
line1.sql
Inside the file2.txt, I have
line2.sql
Inside the file3.txt, I have
line3.sql

I was wondering, how can I write a script that would check file1.txt to file3.txt and make sure that fixed.txt has everthing in those three files?

I start by searching the files in folder_a like the following...then I am not sure what to do next Smilie

Code:
find ~/Documents/folder_a -name 'file*.txt'

Could someone please give me some guidence/help on how to go about solving this

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with time comparison shell script for HP-UX

I am using Korne Shell in HP-Ux. Can someone give me and idea on how I can write a shellscript on how to do this please:- On our HP-UX server, a batch file is run every evening at about 6:30pm. The first step of this batch file will touch an empty "flag" file to indicate that the batch has... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gummysweets
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in writing a comparison shell script

I have a folder a1 with the following files sample_1.log sample_2.log sample_3.log sample_4.log sample_5.log sample_6.log In another folder there is a file b with the value 5 My script should take the value 5 ( file b), compare it with the files in folder a1, if file name contains... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nagesh1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do row comparison in shell script

Hi, I need help on doing the below thing in shell script. I have a file with millions of rows called "abc.txt". i have another file with millions of rows called "xyz.txt". I would like to do the below operation. Open the abc.txt, read the first line, do some operations on the column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: informsrini
2 Replies

4. Solaris

String Comparison in Shell script

I Have a script which gets the status of oracle database and if the status is READ WRITE ..it should echo "db is up " else "db is down" Here is the code if then echo "db up" else echo "db down" fi done; The script is giving me out put "db down" even thoug the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: njafri
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparison in shell script

Hi, I have written one script : #!/bin/bash echo -n -e "\nEnter how many files : " read no for (( j=1; j<=$no; j++ )) do echo -n -e "\nEnter $j File name : " read name done for (( j=1; j<=$no; j++ )) do FILE=`find ./ -type f -name "${name}"` echo "$FILE" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_j
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell script comparison

I have a scenario to implement in Korn shell script. Here it is.. I need to compare two values to see whether they are same or not. The issue is that the values coming in for comparison can be a string or an integer which can be determined during run time only. Which korn shell comparison... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vani123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date comparison script

hi, I have a file named user.cfg under /var/member/ #user.cfg file under /var/member/ login user: root #how are you login pass: admin #where are you M: user1 pass1 #20121008 M: user2 pass2 #20111230 M: user3 pass3 #20091220 M: user4 pass4 #20070210 M: user5 pass5 #20130708 M:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison between two files through UNIX script

Hi All , As I am new to unix scripting ,I need a help regarding unix scripting .I have two .txt files .One is source file and another is target file.I need a script through which I can compare those two files.I need a automated comparison report in a directory after comparing between source &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding comparison between two files through UNIX script

Hi All , I am aware of unix command ,but not comforable in putting together in script level.I came to situation where I need to compare between two .txt files fieldwise and need a mismatch report. As I am new to unix script arena ,if anyone can help in the below scenario that will be really... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please hel me with file comparison script

Hi All, I have two files(file1.txt and file2.txt) and also file names which are presented in the files also present in the directory gdir/db/files. file1.txt /db/day_files/data_feed20161231 /db/day_files/data_feed20161229 /db/day_files/data_feed20161125... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PAPAS
1 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -ex3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/lib/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. Files longer than 64K bytes won't work. DIFF3(1)