Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed in awk ? or nested awk ?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sed in awk ? or nested awk ? Post 302162730 by varungupta on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 10:06:51 PM
Old 01-29-2008
Error sed in awk ? or nested awk ?

Hey all,

Can I put sed command inside the awk action ?? If not then can i do grep in the awk action ??

For ex:

awk '$1=="174" { ppid=($2) ; sed -n '/$ppid/p' tempfind.txt ; }' tempfind.txt

Assume: 174 is string.
Assume: tempfind.txt is used for awk and sed both.

tempfind.txt contains :

t2589vg 8888 11234 -ksh
mqsiadm 128 134 -ksh
mqsiadm 174 8888 -ksh

Please let me know, its an urgent.
Thanks to all brains.

You can give your opinion/examples/suggustions regarding the same (to use: sed in awk or grep in awk or nested awk).

Varun.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk 2 delimiter nested

Hello All, This work could be very easy for you guys. I would really appreciate help. input file: output file: (Desired) What I am capable of doing: Command: cat inputfile | awk -F\| '{print "num="$1" value="$2" digits="$3" name1="$4" file="$5" code="$6}' > outputfile Result what I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyroshni
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Script: Nested search using different patter

Hi Friends. Please have a look at dummy file. I need to extract from this file: 1. Counts of event= 2. the 2nd coulmn is unique call id of this transaction. Based on that, i have to search for txstatus= . Note: Values of event, calltype and txstatus can be anything. I want to print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsmesanju
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax question in regards to nested awk statements

Hello all, I am writing up an input file and I was hoping I could get some guidance as to how to best consolidate these 2 awk statements for 1 while loop. Here's my input file # cat databases.lst #NOTE: These entries are delimited by tabs "\t" #oracleSID name/pass # db11 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested case inside awk

please let me know if the below code could be written efficiently inside single awk case "$INP" in ksh) cat catalog | awk 'BEGIN {FS=",";} { print $2 } END {}' ;; pset) cat catalog | awk 'BEGIN {FS=",";} { print $3 } END {}' ;; dml) cat catalog | awk 'BEGIN {FS=",";} {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvsanthosh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with nested $s and quotations in bash / awk

Folks - newbie bash coder here and I'd like to get your help to make the code below work. As you can see, I was trying to count the total number of lines with the 3rd value >= 15 in a file and wanted to make the threshold "15" configurable, but apparently the $THRESHOLD value was not populated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashzipper
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested awk Statements

Hello again everyone, yes, I'm back again for more help! So I'm attempting to read two separate files and generate some XML code from that. My current code is: BEGIN { print "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\">" print "<Export>" } { x=1; print "<section name=\"Query" NR "\">"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parrakarry
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested if not working with /usr/xpg4/bin/awk

Hi, I am trying to do if inside the If in /usr/xpg4/bin/awk. But I am getting below error : /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -v a="${THREADIDARR }" 'BEGIN {FS="|"; n=split(a,b," "); for(i=1; i<=n; i++) c]=1;} length($3) == 0{ftag == 1{{print}}; length($3) != 0{$3 in c{ftag=1;print;} !$3 in c{ftag=0;}}'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add second variable in awk nested if condition?

Hi Gurus, I have a command to assign value based on input value. current condition is "if pattern matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else "SUCC"right now, I need to add one more condition (variable name is VAR). the condition is "if pattern1 matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk nested looping?

I am trying to parse a text file and send its output to another file but I am having trouble conceptualizing how I am supposed to do this in awk. The text file has a organization like so: Name Date Status Location (city, state, zip fields) Where each of these is on a separate line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kellyanneghj
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - multiple and nested if-then-else

Hello. I would like to convert the following piece of code from bash to awk. Here are bash variables in a bash script. CUR_ROW_ID and ROW_ID_TO_SEARCH contains a string which represent a row id. The string contain a valid row id. CUR_ROW_ID sometimes may be null. CUR_VALUE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)