Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to remove all except one file? Post 302162522 by vino on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 08:01:39 AM
Old 01-29-2008
Or copy f1 to /tmp, rm all the files in the current directory and move back /tmp/f1 to the current directory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch file to remove double quotes from a file

Hi I have to create a windows batch file which will read an input file and remove "double quotes" from each line of the file. For eg.If input file name is abcd.csv and contents is : "asasd,123123,213213,asd" "esfrf,dsfsdf,234324,sdfsdf" Then the batch file should remove "" from the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy a file without remove the contents of the target file?

Hello every body, Kindly support me to "copy a file without remove the contents of the target file" Thanks in advance. :) Ahmed Amer Cairo,Egypt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to remove 1st line of a file and save the file with same old name

Hi friends, I have a doubt, I am not sure whether it is possible ah nu. I am having a file(sample.txt) which contain 5 lines. I want to remove 1st line in the file and save the file with same old name (sample.txt). For removing 1st line i am using sed 1d filename But dono how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines from first file comparing second file

Hi, I have two files with below data:: file1:- 123|aaa|ppp 445|fff|yyy 999|ttt|jjj 555|hhh|hhh file2:- 445|fff|yyy 555|hhh|hhh The records present in file1, not present in file 2 should be writtent to the out put file. output:- 123|aaa|ppp 999|ttt|jjj Is there any one line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines in a file and save the file with same name?

I have a text file which has blank lines. I want them to be removed before upload it to DB using SQL *Loader. Below is the command line, i use to remove blank lines. sed '/^ *$/d' /loc/test.txt If i use the below command to replace the file after removing the blank lines, it replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove bad records from file and move them into a file then send those via email

Hi my requirement is that i want pull the bad records from input file and move those records in to a seperate file. that file has to be sent via email.. any suggentions please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sxk4999
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Loop through file one, remove lines from file two

Good Afternoon, I start with a file named biglist.txt. I have another file smallerlist. txt I want to remove the lines from smallerlist.txt from biglist.txt and leave those lines that do not reside in smallerlist.txt. Thanks !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove/grab lines from file with pattern from other file

Sorry for the weird title but i have the following problem. We have several files which have between 10000 and about 500000 lines in them. From these files we want to remove lines which contain a pattern which is located in another file (around 20000 lines, all EAN codes). We also want to get... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
28 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove lines from File.A based on criteria in File.B

Hello, I have two files of the following form. I would like to remove from File.A where the first three colum matches values in File.B to give the output in File.C File.A 121 54321 PQR CAT 122 765431 ABC DOG 124 98765 ZXY TIGER 125 86432 GEF LION File.B 122 765431 ABC 125 86432 GEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies
RMM(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)