Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find the jobs running in background and stop Post 302162317 by ShawnSMSU on Monday 28th of January 2008 05:51:51 PM
Old 01-28-2008
Quote:
Code:
FIND=`ps -elf | grep "usr_script" | grep -v grep`
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
	echo "process found"
	echo $FIND
	FINDPROC=`awk {print $4}`  # it reads forth column to find process id
	kill -9 $FINDPROC  # kills process id of the usr_scirpts procsses
else
	echo "process no found"
	#start your scirpt here
fi

This didn't work for me, can anyone see what needs to be changed? Here's my output:

process found
0 S userName 21426 1 0 40 20 ? 14409 ? 15:12:34 pts/2 0:06 rmiregistry 1199
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: illegal statement near line 1

Thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs

Hi, i have a problem with turning a job into backgrund. When i enter this at the shell: spice -b darlington.cir -r output.raw > screenout.tmp & and then let me show the currently running jobs, i get the following output: + Suspended (tty output) spice -b darlington.cir -r output.raw >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qsi
4 Replies

2. Programming

Background jobs

Hi there, I'm quite new to UNIX for programming. I have a script that does this: Shows on screen real-time results taken from phone calls and logs them in a file. However, when I start my script, I want my script to start logging in the file in the background, so I can continue working on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jeremiorama
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with exit after running jobs in background

I have the following sample script to run a script the jobs with the same priority(in this case field3) in parallel; wait for the jobs to finish and run the next set of jobs in parallel.When all the lines are read exit the script. I have the following script which is doing evrything I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyennah
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background jobs

If I run a job in the background and logoff. Will the job continue to run or will my processes be killed ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop the script which is running in background

Hi I have a script, which i ran in background, can someone please help in stopping this. i gave this command: ksh abc.ksh & this script sends me a mail every 30 seconds. i have deleted the script but still i am getting the mails. can some one please help me stopping dese. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for an arbitrary background process (limiting number of jobs running)

Hi, I'm trying to write a script to decompress a directory full of files. The decompression commands can run in the background, so that many can run at once. But I want to limit the number running at any one time, so that I don't overload the machine. Something like this: n=0 for i in *.gz... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.f.moore
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to stop all the cron jobs

Hi All, Please provide the command to stop all the cron jobs. Thanks in Advance Regards, Sindu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira_s
2 Replies

9. AIX

Use of screen in running background jobs and how to use this

Hello, Please advise use of screen in running jobs in nohup background and how to use this Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the shellscript which is running In background is completed or not?

HI All, I need the answer of below question? 1) how to find the shellscript which is running In background is completed or not ? ex: I know the shellscript name abc.sh which is running in background through cronjob. I want to know this is job is still running or stopped, how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)