Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Terminal Output to a File ??
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Terminal Output to a File ?? Post 302162271 by KittyWu on Monday 28th of January 2008 01:56:32 PM
Old 01-28-2008
The standard way of redirecting the output of a command into a file is to use the 'tee' command:

# Starts 'my_command' command and duplicates
# the outputs from the standard and error devices
# into the 'my_log.txt' log file
my_command 2>&1 | tee my_log.txt

Hope it helps,
C.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output to terminal and file at the same time

Hi all The makefile of a large project produces hundreds of lines of output, which I can't look at any more when the build is finished. If I simply redirect the output to a file, I can't see the progress of the building process... Is there a possibility to redirect the output to a file and at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Charlie
1 Replies

2. Programming

output to terminal

How can I write to another user's pseudo tty, but not to its current prompt position (as in open("/dev/pts007", ...) followed by write() ). Instead I would like to write to the top center of the screen using color red, for example. Like curses, but from another console. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreis
6 Replies

3. Solaris

terminal output - save to file?

I have a window open on my ultra 10 - a terminal window connecting to a server. Is there any way I can log all output to this window to a log file on my ultra 10 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

4. Solaris

how to redirect my output in a new terminal

Hi all, i type a command along with dtterm what i would like to have is that the output of the command to be shown in the new terminal . Any Idea on how to acheive this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sayantan
0 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Output terminal sessions to screen and log file

I would like to use a terminal session to ssh to switches and routers. I need to capture data while logged into switches to a file I can email for troubleshooting. I use termial to log into Cisco switch, run the sh tech command, and then sent the output to cisco. Is there a way to run a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdelliott
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate terminal output

Hello Using BASH under Ubuntu 10.4 lts + XMonad My script is almost perfect but i'm stuck at the last hurdle: I need a sort of modified 'echo' which truncates its output to the width of the terminal I can find the terminal's width with 'stty size' but i dont know how to then convert input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scyptnex
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Redirect the output of telnet command on a terminal to a file ?

(/home/user1)-> more script.sh #!/bin/ksh ( echo open devicename sleep 3; echo user; sleep 2; echo password; sleep 2; echo "/info/dump"; ---------> This needs to redirect to a file .Can be number of pages sleep 2; echo "exit" ) | telnet Please use code tags next time for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: necro98
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange behaviour when output to terminal vs file (awk)

Hi all ! I noticed something very weird. I have a large pipe delimited file (20 fields/3,000 records) that looks like that: AAA|BBB|11111|22222|...|($NF of record 1) CCC|DDD|33333|44444|...|($NF of record 2) CCC|DDD|55555|66666|...|($NF of record 3) For the lines with same 1st and 2nd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing Terminal Output to a Error File

I am having a bash script which is basically invoking a python program to validate the Source Query results against the target query results. I am placing all the queries in a .sql file. I want to write to a Error log file incase if the syntax is wrong or if the column is not present in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
ul(1)								   User Commands							     ul(1)

NAME
ul - do underlining SYNOPSIS
ul [-i] [-t terminal] [filename...] DESCRIPTION
ul reads the named filenames (or the standard input if none are given) and translates occurrences of underscores to the sequence which indicates underlining for the terminal in use, as specified by the environment variable TERM. ul uses the /usr/share/lib/terminfo entry to determine the appropriate sequences for underlining. If the terminal is incapable of underlining, but is capable of a standout mode then that is used instead. If the terminal can overstrike, or handles underlining automatically, ul degenerates to cat(1). If the terminal can- not underline, underlining is ignored. OPTIONS
-t terminal Override the terminal kind specified in the environment. If the terminal cannot underline, underlining is ignored. If the terminal name is not found, no underlining is attempted. -i Indicate underlining by a separate line containing appropriate dashes `-'; this is useful when you want to look at the underlining which is present in an nroff(1) output stream on a CRT-terminal. RETURN VALUES
ul returns exit code 1 if the file specified is not found. FILES
/usr/share/lib/terminfo/* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), man(1), nroff(1), attributes(5) BUGS
nroff usually generates a series of backspaces and underlines intermixed with the text to indicate underlining. ul makes attempt to opti- mize the backward motion. SunOS 5.10 17 Mar 1994 ul(1)