Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compare 2 sorted files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare 2 sorted files Post 302160863 by dennis.jacob on Wednesday 23rd of January 2008 01:30:13 AM
Old 01-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by varungupta
Could you please tell me why -13 is being used in comm command ?

-1 suppress lines unique to left file

-2 suppress lines unique to right file

-3 suppress lines that appear in both files

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing code on files in the sorted order -help!

Say i have 2 files in the giving format: file1 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 file2 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 I have a PERL code (loaned by one of u -i forgot who - thanks!) that extracts the 2nd column from each file and append horizontally to a new file: perl -ane 'push @{$L->}, $F; close... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epi8
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep content of files sorted by time stamp

egrep Date: *.html > out.htm I would like to grep the match as sorted by time stamp of the html files. how do I do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zer0
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate files sorted by date

I am a beginner in script writing, i tried to do the following I have a set of files sorted by date in the format YYMMDD.s and .x and .r I need to concatenate a header file to these sets of files so I used the following code echo "enter Swath number" read s echo "please enter first date and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
2 Replies

4. Programming

merging two files with sorted integers in c

Hi, I want to merge two files with sorted integers. I want to merge two files to a single file such that there are no duplicates and the merged file should contain the integers in the sorted order. Just some idea or pointer to an implementation will help me a lot. Thanks & Regards,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brett01
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write a program in c in unix that display the files(includ sub-direc and files within) in a sorted

the sorting is based on name of file, file size modification time stamps o f file it should dislay the output in the following format "." and ".." enteries should be ignored please give some idea how to do it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pappu kumar jha
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine multiple files by column into one files already sorted!

I have multiple files; each file contains a certain data in a column view simply i want to combine all those files into one file in columns example file1: a b c d file 2: 1 2 3 4 file 3: G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamro
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the files based on timestamp and execute sorted files in order

Hi I have a requirement like below I need to sort the files based on the timestamp in the file name and run them in sorted order and then archive all the files which are one day old to temp directory My files looks like this PGABOLTXML1D_201108121235.xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saidutta123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste multiple files, but only the sorted head -50

Hello, I want to merge multiple files (under hundreds folders) side by side. File name are the same but folder are different. like folder1/same_name.txt folder2/same_name.txt folder3/same_name.txt ......Normally it can be done as paste /different_path*/same_name.txt > merged_file.txtbut... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to join 2 text files sorted by

Can anyone please help me i have 2 text files setup like the one below. Textfile1: randomemail1:randompassword1 randomemail2:randompassword2 randomemail3:randompassword3 randomemail4:randompassword4 randomemail5:randompassword5 Textfile2: randompassword1:randomphrase1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nufc
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to create a summary file of all files in a directory sorted in reverse alphabetical order.?

I have an interactive script which works terrific at processing a folder of unsorted files into new directories. I am wondering how I could modify my script so that( upon execution) it provides an additional labelled summary file on my desktop that lists all of the files in each directory that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) characters in length. BSD
January 26, 2005 BSD