Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How Do I Navigate To A Directory??? Post 302160014 by hemangjani on Sunday 20th of January 2008 01:05:47 AM
Old 01-20-2008
Use the 'cd' command.
cd - Change Directory.
Usage:
$ cd directory_name

Use 'ls' for listing files and directories instead of 'dir'.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you navigate ABOVE the home directory?

Hello, How do I navigate to the level ABOVE the home directory? I have the following structure on my drive, bearing in my I'm using a cygwin port on Windows. C:\ C:\cygwin C:\cygwin\bin C:\cygwin\otherfolders C:\cygwin\home (the home directory) C:\cygwin\home\H (my user directory) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patwa
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Directory Content as You Navigate Directories in UNIX

Hi, Can someone help me figure out how to view directory content while I navigate directories (without having to go to the actual directory and "ls-ing" it)? Is there some keyboard shortcut for this? For instance, it would be useful if I could see the content of a directory when I'm copying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelata
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to navigate previous files one by one.

Hi can you tell me if i have opened no of files using vi editior then how can i navigate previous files one by one. Suppose i have opened five files using vi editor as below vi file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 and nom i am in the last file file5 then if i want to go to previous file file 4 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayshukla
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to navigate thrugh directories

Hi, I have a requiremnet where i need to apply logic on directories and sub-direcotories. Example: base="/a/b/c" base1="/a/b/c/d/e" subfolders in both base and base1 are same : es, ig, os var1=es var2=ig var3=os Now i have used the follwoing lines in my code and these are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sussane
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script That Can navigate to 3 differents directory & remove files under them

Hi I am Trying to Write a script that can goto 4 different directorys on the server & remove the Files older then 30 days ?? /logs logs1 logs2 logs3 Now I need to remove files under logs1 logs2 logs3 which are older then 30 days whose name stat 'sit' , 'mig','bld' . in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner123
3 Replies

6. AIX

Do you need execute permission to navigate to a directory?

i have a user 'bart' which does not belong to apps group (as shown below) and i want him to be able to navigate to TEST directory.. i gave him read access but he cannot get through. when i added execute permission he was able to navigate to TEST drwxr-xr-- 3 draco apps 4096 Apr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to navigate into specified folder and delete the files

Hi all, I need to write a script to naviagate into the list of specified folder and delete the files in it. I have mentioned the list of folders in a external file so it can be reusable. The issue is am facing now is that, i am not understating on how to navigate into the folder locations... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Fast yet simple way to navigate directories

If you are like me, typing CD command again and again would quickly get tiresome and wonder there must be a better way to do it. I have done some searching on Google and this forum. The results I get (using alias, CDPATH or PUSHD) do not satisfy me completely, so I decide to do it my way.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: IKE0000
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to navigate to HOME directory when I log in

Hi, Currently i'm logging as a user say atgdev. When I login it takes me to directory /. I see the home directory set as /home/atgdev/ I want that when i log in it shud directly go to my home directory i.e /home/atgdev/. I thought .profile in /home/atgdev/ will be invoked first when i log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangadhar Reddy
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Navigate to Windows Desktop?

I want to use my Desktop for saving files of my codes. Looking for Desktop in my OS (C : ) and couldn't find it anywhere. Is it possible to navigate to your desktop? If so how? By the way, I am using Cygwin. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DyslexicChciken
6 Replies
MKDIR(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  MKDIR(1)

NAME
mkdir -- make directories SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-pv] [-m mode] directory_name ... DESCRIPTION
The mkdir utility creates the directories named as operands, in the order specified, using mode rwxrwxrwx (0777) as modified by the current umask(2). The options are as follows: -m mode Set the file permission bits of the final created directory to the specified mode. The mode argument can be in any of the formats specified to the chmod(1) command. If a symbolic mode is specified, the operation characters ``+'' and ``-'' are interpreted rela- tive to an initial mode of ``a=rwx''. -p Create intermediate directories as required. If this option is not specified, the full path prefix of each operand must already exist. On the other hand, with this option specified, no error will be reported if a directory given as an operand already exists. Intermediate directories are created with permission bits of rwxrwxrwx (0777) as modified by the current umask, plus write and search permission for the owner. -v Be verbose when creating directories, listing them as they are created. The user must have write permission in the parent directory. DIAGNOSTICS
The mkdir utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
rmdir(1) COMPATIBILITY
The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. STANDARDS
The mkdir utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A mkdir command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
January 25, 1994 BSD