Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to view the contents of .gz file without extracting the file? Post 302157984 by amitkhiare on Sunday 13th of January 2008 11:35:11 PM
Old 01-14-2008
FYI......

I got it sort

Command is : gzip -cd <file> | more

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching two file contents and extracting associated information

Hi, I am new to shell programming and need help. I have File1 with some ID numbers and File2 with ID number and some associated information. I want to match the ID numbers from File1 to contents in File2 and output a third file which pulls out the ID numbers and the associated information with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpro
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using vim to view the contents of a directory

When I use this command: vi /home/bob/.vimI expect to see. " ============================================================================ " Netrw Directory Listing (netrw v149) " /home/bob/.vim " Sorted by name " Sort sequence:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

View file contents created by dbCAmplicons as tab delimited

I have run the following command : od -c Results_May18.fixrank | head Here is the result. I wanted the results in tab delimited. Thanks $ od -c Results_May18.fixrank | head 0000000 M 0 1 6 0 1 : 1 2 9 : 0 0 0 0 0 0000020 0 0 0 0 - A T T D Y ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benard
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output file name and file contents of multiple files to a single file

I am trying to consolidate multiple information files (<hostname>.Linux.nfslist) into one file so that I can import it into Excel. I can get the file contents with cat *Linux.nfslist >> nfslist.txt. I need each line prefaced with the hostname. I am unsure how to do this. --- Post updated at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kentlee65
5 Replies
MU(1)                                                         General Commands Manual                                                        MU(1)

NAME
mu - a set of tools to deal with Maildirs and message files, in particular to index and search e-mail messages. SYNOPSIS
mu [options] mu index [options] mu find [options] <search expression> mu view <file> [<files>] mu mkdir [options] <dir> [<dirs>] mu extract [options] <file> [<parts>] [<regexp>] mu cfind [options] [<regexp>] DESCRIPTION
mu is a set of tools for dealing with Maildirs and the e-mail messages in them. mus main function is to enable searching of e-mail messages. It does so by periodically scanning a Maildir directory tree and analyzing the e-mail messages found ('indexing'). The results of this analysis are stored in a database, which can then be queried. In addition to indexing and searching, mu also offers functionality for viewing messages, extracting attachments and creating maildirs, and searching and exporting contact information. mu can be used from the command line or can be integrated with various e-mail clients. This manpage gives a general overview of the available commands (index, find, etc.); each of the mu commands has its own man-page as well. COMMANDS
mu offers the following commands: index for indexing (analyzing) the contents of your Maildirs, and storing the information in a database. See mu-index(1) find for finding messages in your database, using certain search parameters. See mu-find(1) cfind for finding contacts (names + e-mail addresses) matching a certain expression, and exporting the results in various formats for use in other programs. mu-cfind(1) view for displaying e-mail messages. See mu-view(1) mkdir for creating Maildirs. See mu-mkdir(1) extract for extract MIME-parts (such as attachments) from messages. See mu-extract(1) COLORS
Some mu sub-commands support colorized output. If you don't want this, you can use the --nocolor/ option to disable it. Even then, colors will only shown when output goes to a sufficiently capable terminal (this roughly mirrors the --color=auto of the GNU-version of the ls- command). Instead of the --color/, you can also set the MU_NOCOLOR environment variable to non-empty to disable colors. Currently, mu find, mu view, mu cfind and mu extract support colors. ENCODING
mu's output is in the current locale, with the exceptions of the output specifically meant for output to UTF8-encoded files. In practice, this means that the output of commands index, view, extract is always encoded according to the current locale. The same is true for find and cfind, with some exceptions, where the output is always UTF-8, regardless of the locale. For cfind the exception is --format=bbdb. This is hard-coded to UTF-8, and as such specified in the output-file, so emacs/bbdb can handle it correctly without guessing. For find the output is encoded according the locale for --format=plain (the default), and UTF-8 for all other formats (json, sexp, xml). DATABASE AND FILE
Commands mu index and find and cfind work with the database, while the other ones work on invidual mail files. Hence, running iew, mkdir and extract does not require the mu database. The various commands are discussed in more detail in their own separate man-pages; here the general options are discussed. OPTIONS
mu offers a number of general options that apply to all commands, including mu without any command. --muhome causes mu to use an alternative directory to store and read its database and logs. By default, ~/.mu is used. -d, --debug makes mu generate extra debug information, useful for debugging the program itself. By default, debug information goes to the log file, ~/.mu/mu.log. It can safely be deleted when mu is not running. When running with --debug option, the log file can grow rather quickly. See the note on logging below. -q, --quiet causes mu not to output informational messages and progress information to standard output, but only to the log file. Error messages will still be sent to standard error. Note that mu index is much faster with --quiet, so it is recommended you use this option when using mu from scripts etc. --log-stderr causes mu to not output log messages to standard error, in addition to sending them to the log file. -v, --version prints mu version and copyright information. -h, --help lists the various command line options, while --help-index, --help-find and --help-all list only the options for respectively the specified command or for all commands. ERROR CODES
The various mu subcommands typically exit with 0 (zero) upon success, and non-zero when some error occured. The table lists the various error codes. exit code | error ----------+------------------------------------------- 1 | MU_ERROR 2 | MU_ERROR_IN_PARAMETERS 3 | MU_ERROR_INTERNAL 4 | MU_ERROR_NO_MATCHES | 11 | MU_ERROR_XAPIAN | 13 | MU_ERROR_XAPIAN_QUERY 14 | MU_ERROR_XAPIAN_DIR_NOT_ACCESSIBLE 15 | MU_ERROR_XAPIAN_NOT_UP_TO_DATE 16 | MU_ERROR_XAPIAN_MISSING_DATA 17 | MU_ERROR_XAPIAN_CORRUPTION 18 | MU_ERROR_XAPIAN_CANNOT_GET_WRITELOCK 30 | MU_ERROR_GMIME | 50 | MU_ERROR_CONTACTS 51 | MU_ERROR_CONTACTS_CANNOT_RETRIEVE | 70 | MU_ERROR_FILE 71 | MU_ERROR_FILE_INVALID_NAME 72 | MU_ERROR_FILE_CANNOT_LINK 73 | MU_ERROR_FILE_CANNOT_OPEN 74 | MU_ERROR_FILE_CANNOT_READ 75 | MU_ERROR_FILE_CANNOT_CREATE 76 | MU_ERROR_FILE_CANNOT_MKDIR 77 | MU_ERROR_FILE_STAT_FAILED 78 | MU_ERROR_FILE_READDIR_FAILED 79 | MU_ERROR_FILE_INVALID_SOURCE BUGS
Please report bugs if you find them: http://code.google.com/p/mu0/issues/list AUTHOR
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb@djcbsoftware.nl> SEE ALSO
mu-index(1) mu-find(1) mu-cfind(1) mu-mkdir(1) mu-view(1) mu-extract(1) mu-easy(1) mu-bookmarks(5) User Manuals January 2012 MU(1)