Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity SMTP Flooding - How can I stop it? Post 302157710 by reborg on Friday 11th of January 2008 06:45:34 PM
Old 01-11-2008
Which MTA are you running (eg sendmail/postfix/other )?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Smtp

Hi All, I am running an email server on a Linux machine. My goal is to set up in a way that I can use pop3 to retrieve mail from a Windows machine using Outlook. Now I can download the messages from the Linux email server, however I can not send out messages. I encounter this error: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

SMTP with sendmail

Hi, I have a solaris 9 box, and 2 domains A.com and B.net. the machine is on B.net. I am not able to send emails to @A.com using mail or mailx. after reading on sendmail, there was something about relaying and editing the file /etc/mail/relay-domains. Please let me know if this is what i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to stop others users to stop viewing what i am doing ?

Hi , I have one question, suppose i am a normal user and when i use 'w' command , it shows who is logged on and what they are doing . Now i want to stop others users to know what i am doing accept the root ? can i do this ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
5 Replies

4. Programming

C Smtp

how do you send a ".\n" in a smtp client? >354 Send message, end with <CRLF>.<CRLF> >. > i have already issued a "./n" but it doesnt work. please help. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grotesque
1 Replies

5. AIX

SMTP doubt

Hi All, I have a unix box which is in a network with windows machine, I am able to send the mails to the user id's with in the unix box. I dont have Internet connection for this box, so I am not able to test if it can send mails to external network or not? I want to know, if SMTP is already... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu_puttaganti
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Smtp

Hi All, I have a unix box which is in a network with windows machine, I am able to send the mails to the user id's with in the unix box. I dont have Internet connection for this box, so I am not able to test if it can send mails to external network or not? I want to know, if SMTP is already... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balu_puttaganti
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

SMTP Settings

Hi all, Please help to check weather the SMTP settings are configured or not on my LINUX server? I want to send a mail to mailbox. I know that the target SMTP server has to be configured on LINUX box to do so. How can i see weather it is configured or not? --Ramesh Ch. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Svc messages flooding the system logs every second

Hi all I have a newly installed Oracle X2-4 server running Solaris 10 x86 with the latest patches. I have one non-global zone configured running an Oracle DB instance. After configuring IPMP failover between two NICs on the server and rebooting I am seeing the /var/adm/messages being flooded... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo or su keeps flooding my /var/log/messages

It is crazy when you just entered a command example sudo or su or even ps. It will flood your /var/log/messages. Please see duplicate entries except for the pid. At 1 specific time. Thanks $ cat b Jan 13 17:09:05 SERVER1 bash: user1 as root: Jan 13 17:09:05 SERVER1 bash: user1 as root: Jan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
3 Replies
MAILWRAPPER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MAILWRAPPER(8)

NAME
mailwrapper -- invoke appropriate MTA software based on configuration file SYNOPSIS
Special. See below. DESCRIPTION
Once upon time, the only Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) software easily available was ``sendmail''. This famous MTA was written by Eric Allman and first appeared in 4.1BSD. The legacy of this MTA affected most Mail User Agents (MUAs) such as mail(1); the path and calling conventions expected by ``sendmail'' were compiled in. But times changed. On a modern NetBSD system, the administrator may wish to use one of several available MTAs. It would be difficult to modify all MUA software typically available on a system, so most of the authors of alternative MTAs have written their front end message submission programs that may appear in the place of /usr/sbin/sendmail, but still follow the same calling conventions as ``sendmail''. The ``sendmail'' MTA also typically has aliases named mailq(1) and newaliases(1) linked to it. The program knows to behave differently when its argv[0] is ``mailq'' or ``newaliases'' and behaves appropriately. Typically, replacement MTAs provide similar functionality, either through a program that also switches behavior based on calling name, or through a set of programs that provide similar functionality. Although having replacement programs that plug replace ``sendmail'' helps in installing alternative MTAs, it essentially makes the configura- tion of the system depend on hand installing new programs in /usr. This leads to configuration problems for many administrators, since they may wish to install a new MTA without altering the system provided /usr. (This may be, for example, to avoid having upgrade problems when a new version of the system is installed over the old.) They may also have a shared /usr among several machines, and may wish to avoid placing implicit configuration information in a read-only /usr. The mailwrapper program is designed to replace /usr/sbin/sendmail and to invoke an appropriate MTA based on configuration information placed in /etc/mailer.conf. This permits the administrator to configure which MTA is to be invoked on the system at run time. EXIT STATUS
mailwrapper exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. FILES
Configuration for mailwrapper is kept in /etc/mailer.conf. /usr/sbin/sendmail is typically set up as a symlink to mailwrapper which is not usually invoked on its own. DIAGNOSTICS
mailwrapper will print a diagnostic if its configuration file is missing or malformed, or does not contain a mapping for the name under which it was invoked. SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), postfix(1), mailer.conf(5) HISTORY
The mailwrapper program appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the ``behave differently if invoked with a different name'' behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
April 10, 2010 BSD