Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get exit code in a pipe-lined command? Post 302157200 by V3l0 on Thursday 10th of January 2008 10:45:36 AM
Old 01-10-2008
Code:
res=$(grep abc dddd)

if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]
then
      echo "ERROR!"
else
      echo $res >> log
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move command return with exit code of 2

I have a script which loads data files into Oracle and then moves each file into a 'processed' directory when each file has finished loading. Last night I found that the script was failing on the mv statement (with a return code 2) and the following message, mv: cannot access... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: handak9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit status of command in a pipe line

Hi, I am trying to test the exit status of the cleartool lsvtree statement below, but it doesn't seem to be working due to the tail pipe, which it is testing instead. Is there a way around this without adding a tonne of new code? cleartool lsvtree $testlocation/$exe_name | tail -15 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: topcat8
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit code of -exec in the find command

Hi I have a little problem with the find command in a script that I'm writing. The script should check if there are some files younger than 100 seconds and then syncronise them with rsync. My find command: find -type f -cmin -100 -exec rsync -a --delete directory1/ directory2/ When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oku
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script: obtain the exit code of remote command

Hi all, I'm trying to run the sipp simulator in crontab but after some attempt I came to the conclusion that for some reason this isn't possible (maybe due to sipp interactive nature). This is confirmed by these posts. Now I'm trying to launch sipp from an expect script that runs in crontab. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evan
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalents of tee command to find exit status of command

Hi, Want to log the output of command & check the exit status to find whether it succeeded or failed. > ls abc ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 1 > ls abc 2>&1 | tee log ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 0 Tee commands changes my exit status to be always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the exit status in a pipe call

Guys, I have a problem :confused: and I need some help: I've to process many huge zip files. I'd code an application that receive the data from a pipe, so I can simple unzip the data and send it (via pipe) to my app. Something like that: gzip -dc <file> | app The problem is: How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rkolbe
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Cannot correctly connect multi-stage C command pipe (among others) (FYI: a lot of code)

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: We are supposed to write a C program that parses a command line, separates it into each command (further... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kowit010
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check output of command before outputing and keep exit code

so i have scripts that are piped and then run through one of the following mechanisms: cat myscript.sh | sh cat myscript.pl | perl what i want to do is, after either of the above commands are run, if the output from the command contains a certain string, i want it to avoid printing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Pipe -Exit when there are no bytes to read

Hi All, I'm creating a program which reads millions of bytes from the PIPE and do some processing. As the data is more, the idea is to read the pipe parallely. Sun Solaris 8 See the code below: #!/bin/sh MAXTHREAD=30 awk '{print $1}' metadata.csv > nvpipe & while do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
3 Replies
LDAP_ERRNO(3)								 1							     LDAP_ERRNO(3)

ldap_errno - Return the LDAP error number of the last LDAP command

SYNOPSIS
int ldap_errno (resource $link_identifier) DESCRIPTION
Returns the standardized error number returned by the last LDAP command. This number can be converted into a textual error message using ldap_err2str(3). PARAMETERS
o $link_identifier - An LDAP link identifier, returned by ldap_connect(3). RETURN VALUES
Return the LDAP error number of the last LDAP command for this link. EXAMPLES
Unless you lower your warning level in your php.ini sufficiently or prefix your LDAP commands with @ (at) characters to suppress warning output, the errors generated will also show up in your HTML output. Example #1 Generating and catching an error <?php // This example contains an error, which we will catch. $ld = ldap_connect("localhost"); $bind = ldap_bind($ld); // syntax error in filter expression (errno 87), // must be "objectclass=*" to work. $res = @ldap_search($ld, "o=Myorg, c=DE", "objectclass"); if (!$res) { echo "LDAP-Errno: " . ldap_errno($ld) . "<br /> "; echo "LDAP-Error: " . ldap_error($ld) . "<br /> "; die("Argh!<br /> "); } $info = ldap_get_entries($ld, $res); echo $info["count"] . " matching entries.<br /> "; ?> SEE ALSO
ldap_err2str(3), ldap_error(3). PHP Documentation Group LDAP_ERRNO(3)