Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX hangs on boot
Operating Systems AIX AIX hangs on boot Post 302156999 by gus2000 on Wednesday 9th of January 2008 05:51:36 PM
Old 01-09-2008
If you have a serial console, then there will be standby menus that are accessable by hitting the spacebar (while the system is plugged-in, but off). From there, you can go to the Boot Menu and specify "Boot to SMS". That setting is good for one IPL only, but it saves you from having to hit just the right key at just the right moment.

It was always a joy trying to get SMS out of an S70. It takes 20 minutes to boot, but there's a 5-second window for me to hit "5". I missed it 90% of the time! The Boot Menu is a welcome relief.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Hangs

Hai I am new to AIX, currently in our shop we use AIX 4.3.3 , where we have hosted the websphere 3.5 applicaiton on it. The AIX server is getting hanged very frequently, when analyse we found the swap memory is increasing once it reaches the memory 100 the system is totaly in hung state, so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin77
5 Replies

2. AIX

RS6K B50 Hangs at E140 on Boot

I've got an RS6K B50, and i've installed AIX 5.3, TL5. It installs fine, the only customisations i make to the BOS are to change the locale / keyboard layout to UK, and to choose not to install graphical software. I have no video card in this box, and i connect via a serial console (null modem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: craigp84
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Boot hangs up on solaris

Hi all, I have a SUN server Sun-Fire-V890 running solaris 9, with a remote system console . Both the IP adresses of the server and the console are in a private network (address 10.67.xxx). For some reasons I need to give the access to the server from outside address 194.xxx, but I prefer that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX hangs through the boot process

To All: I have this AIX machine (see boot process below). The problem was it hangs at: The ctrmc Subsystem has been started. Subsystem PID is 11906.. I checked with other forums but their advise were just "strong punches in the air" with no specific explanation. I really appreciate if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_xia
6 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Boot Scripts

Hi, can someone point me to the bootup file where I can add a samba start up script so I dont have to manually start samba everytime we reboot the server? Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
8 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Boot hangs while adding swap

Boot process hangs after reaching the following line: Adding 5853176k swap on /dev/mapper/mch-swap_1. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:5853176kUsing knoppix 6.2 as LiveCD, and mounting the partitions, I got the following: # /etc/fstab: static file system information. # # Use 'blkid -o value -s... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzaker
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 Boot Hangs On Power4 Hardware

Hi all, We have a old Power4 server with AIX version 5.3 installed. Upon boot up, it hangs right after the AIX welcome screen. On the diagnostic load progress LED indicator, I saw that it stopped at '0c32' then after awhile the LED would be blank. The screen on the monitor will hang at the black... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_sim
15 Replies

8. AIX

Can't boot AIX

Good afternoon there, One of my friend gave me an old IBM 44P Model 170 (I've planned to use it to learn AIX that I don't know at all) (I know a bit GNU/Linux (Debian, Archlinux, Red Hat, Slackware)). But, unfortunately, the computer doesn't start properly and I don't have any idea why ;(. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firstpost
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Server Hangs at boot

Hi Guys, I have a SunBlade 1500 which I use to practice at home. Suddenly when I power on the server it just displays the solaris banner and Boot device: disk File and args: Then it stops and says " rebooting with command: boot" It doesn't boot to the kernel. Is there anyway I can possibly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 - hangs during boot

Power server up runs through diagnostics. Goes to the boot section and then the bit where the cursor is spinning and thats it. Hangs completely. Any ideas? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
10 Replies
pdc(1M) 																   pdc(1M)

NAME
pdc - processor-dependent code (firmware) DESCRIPTION
is the firmware that implements all processor-dependent functionality, including initialization and self-test of the processor. Upon com- pletion, it loads and transfers control to the initial system loader (isl(1M)). Firmware behavior varies somewhat, depending on the hard- ware as described below. To load from an external medium, must know the particular device on which resides. Typically the device is identified by the Primary Boot Path that is maintained by in Stable Storage. A path specification is an I/O subsystem mnemonic that varies according to hardware model. When the processor is reset after initialization and self-test complete, reads the Console Path from Stable Storage, and attempts to ini- tialize the console device. If the initialization fails, attempts to find and initialize a console device. Algorithms used to find a con- sole device are model-dependent. then announces the Primary Boot, Alternate Boot, and Console Paths. If (see isl(1M)) is enabled, provides a 10-second delay, during which time the operator can override the sequence by typing any character on the console. If the operator does not interrupt this process, initializes and reads from the Primary Boot Path. On models that support autosearch, if this path is not valid and (see isl(1M)) is enabled, then searches to find a bootable medium. If allowed to complete, a list of potentially bootable devices is displayed, labeled with abbreviated path identifiers (P0, P1, etc). A simple menu is then displayed where the user can: o Boot a specific device, using the abbreviated path identifier, or the full mnemonic. o Start a device search where the contents are searched for IPL images (note the first search only identified devices and did not check the contents). o Enter the boot administration level. o Exit the menu and return to autobooting o Get help on choices If the sequence is unsuccessful, overridden by the operator, or not enabled in the first place, interactively prompts the operator for the Boot Path to use. Any required path components that are not supplied default to zero. The Primary Boot, Alternate Boot, and Console Paths as well as and enable can be modified via SEE ALSO
boot(1M), isl(1M). PA-RISC Systems Only pdc(1M)