Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX hangs on boot
Operating Systems AIX AIX hangs on boot Post 302156909 by gus2000 on Wednesday 9th of January 2008 01:08:50 PM
Old 01-09-2008
If there's no LCD error code, then the system didn't get very far. You'll need to boot from external media.

IBM - Booting in Service Mode

It's possible that the system is downlevel on firmware, and is not compatible with that AIX release/level. You may need to update the FW to proceed (although that usually involves having a bootable disk: catch-22!)

The message "AIX is starting" is issued if a hd5 with a AIX boot image is found on the bootable media. This message should get replaced with "Starting Kernel" once the kernel code has been read into memory. Sometimes this can be corrected with:

# bosboot -ad /dev/hdiskx

once the system is booted from external media and the rootvg imported and mounted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Hangs

Hai I am new to AIX, currently in our shop we use AIX 4.3.3 , where we have hosted the websphere 3.5 applicaiton on it. The AIX server is getting hanged very frequently, when analyse we found the swap memory is increasing once it reaches the memory 100 the system is totaly in hung state, so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin77
5 Replies

2. AIX

RS6K B50 Hangs at E140 on Boot

I've got an RS6K B50, and i've installed AIX 5.3, TL5. It installs fine, the only customisations i make to the BOS are to change the locale / keyboard layout to UK, and to choose not to install graphical software. I have no video card in this box, and i connect via a serial console (null modem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: craigp84
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Boot hangs up on solaris

Hi all, I have a SUN server Sun-Fire-V890 running solaris 9, with a remote system console . Both the IP adresses of the server and the console are in a private network (address 10.67.xxx). For some reasons I need to give the access to the server from outside address 194.xxx, but I prefer that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
2 Replies

4. AIX

AIX hangs through the boot process

To All: I have this AIX machine (see boot process below). The problem was it hangs at: The ctrmc Subsystem has been started. Subsystem PID is 11906.. I checked with other forums but their advise were just "strong punches in the air" with no specific explanation. I really appreciate if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_xia
6 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Boot Scripts

Hi, can someone point me to the bootup file where I can add a samba start up script so I dont have to manually start samba everytime we reboot the server? Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
8 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Boot hangs while adding swap

Boot process hangs after reaching the following line: Adding 5853176k swap on /dev/mapper/mch-swap_1. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:5853176kUsing knoppix 6.2 as LiveCD, and mounting the partitions, I got the following: # /etc/fstab: static file system information. # # Use 'blkid -o value -s... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzaker
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 Boot Hangs On Power4 Hardware

Hi all, We have a old Power4 server with AIX version 5.3 installed. Upon boot up, it hangs right after the AIX welcome screen. On the diagnostic load progress LED indicator, I saw that it stopped at '0c32' then after awhile the LED would be blank. The screen on the monitor will hang at the black... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_sim
15 Replies

8. AIX

Can't boot AIX

Good afternoon there, One of my friend gave me an old IBM 44P Model 170 (I've planned to use it to learn AIX that I don't know at all) (I know a bit GNU/Linux (Debian, Archlinux, Red Hat, Slackware)). But, unfortunately, the computer doesn't start properly and I don't have any idea why ;(. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firstpost
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Server Hangs at boot

Hi Guys, I have a SunBlade 1500 which I use to practice at home. Suddenly when I power on the server it just displays the solaris banner and Boot device: disk File and args: Then it stops and says " rebooting with command: boot" It doesn't boot to the kernel. Is there anyway I can possibly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 - hangs during boot

Power server up runs through diagnostics. Goes to the boot section and then the bit where the cursor is spinning and thats it. Hangs completely. Any ideas? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
10 Replies
BOOTPARAMD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     BOOTPARAMD(8)

NAME
bootparamd -- boot parameter server SYNOPSIS
bootparamd [-ds] [-r router] [-f file] DESCRIPTION
The bootparamd utility is a server process that provides information to diskless(8) clients necessary for booting. It consults the /etc/bootparams file. This version will allow the use of aliases on the hostname in the /etc/bootparams file. The returned hostname to the whoami request done by the booting client will be the name that appears in /etc/bootparams and not the canonical name. In this way you can keep the answer short enough so that machines that cannot handle long hostnames will not fail during boot. OPTIONS
-d Display the debugging information. -s Log the debugging information with syslog(3). -r router The default router (a machine or an IP-address). This defaults to the machine running the server. -f file The file to use as boot parameter file instead of /etc/bootparams. FILES
/etc/bootparams default boot parameter file EXAMPLES
When netbooting diskless SunOS/Xkernel SPARCstations the booted SunOS kernel also broadcasts to the all-0 address. The SunOS kernel hangs until it receives a reply. To accommodate this behaviour add an alias address that responds to an all-0 broadcast. So, add something like 'ifconfig xl0 192.168.200.254 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast 192.168.200.0 alias' on the relevant network interface on your bootparamd server. The alias address must of course be free for use. SEE ALSO
syslog(3), bootparams(5), diskless(8) AUTHORS
Written by Klas Heggemann <klas@nada.kth.se>. BUGS
You may find the syslog(3) loggings to be verbose. BSD
December 14, 2000 BSD