Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to clear history
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to clear history Post 302156444 by frank_rizzo on Tuesday 8th of January 2008 06:31:42 AM
Old 01-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gincemathew
2) can we see the time at which command executed.
tcsh supports this. ksh on most systems does not. ksh on AIX does support the timestamp. There maybe others though. This is really only there for convenience and should not be used as an absolute audit trail.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

clear passwd history without ...

how do I clear passwd history of a user without compromising the audit trail for security? in a nutshell, user abc wants to re-use his passwd ( he is not savvy with computers ) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: A Stewart
4 Replies

2. Solaris

how to clear command history

hi Any one can help me. I am using Sun_Solaris. The command history set to 100 at .cshrc. I am unable to clear the command histoy. In Linux it is very easy by giving command history -c I could not find any such type command to clear the history. Is there any such type of command for solaris.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabir
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear history logs of all terminal sessions

Hi, I would normally clear off the history entries from a terminal by using the following commands: > ~/.bash_history history -c But this will remove the entries of that particular session only. How to prune all the entries of all login sessions for a particular user in a system? N.B:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to clear history in Linux

Hello All, Good Morning. I am trying to erase history list in my linux box, but my below command is failing. What is the actual way to clear it? > history clear -bash: history: clear: numeric argument required Also when I run my commands in my command prompt, my team lead can see my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to clear history in ksh?

I want to clear the history so that no one should be able to see what commands I gave in the AIX OS level. I tried using history -c , ~/.sh_history, but they aren't working :wall: Please tell me the command in ksh which can clear all the previous history? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear history in ksh

Hi Am using ksh shell I need to remove history of commands used.. I tried # rm .vi_history # touch .vi_history # chmod 600 .vi_history This didnt work.. I tried also # rm .sh_history # touch .sh_history # chmod 600 .sh_history (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to clear "history" command entries??

As in the title, how to clear the history entries? For eg: if i enter history, series of linux commands getting displayed from day 1. I need to clear those entries and want linux commands to be stored freshly. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
6 Replies
audomon(1M)															       audomon(1M)

NAME
audomon - audit overflow monitor daemon SYNOPSIS
fss] sp_freq] warning] output] string] DESCRIPTION
monitors the capacity of the current audit trail and the file system on which the audit trail is located. prints out warning messages when either capacity is approaching full. also checks the audit trail and the file system against two switch points: FileSpaceSwitch (FSS) and AuditFileSwitch (AFS). If either switch point is reached, audit recording automatically switches to an alternative audit trail. also takes action at the switch point if there is a task specified with the option. The FileSpaceSwitch (FSS) is specified as a percentage of the total disk space available. When the file system reaches this percentage, looks for a backup audit trail. If the backup audit trail is available, recording is switched from the audit trail to the backup trail. If the backup audit trail is not available, then the auditing system creates a new audit trail with the same base name but a different timestamp extension. The auditing system begins recording to the new audit trail. The AuditFileSwitch (AFS) is specified (using by the size of the audit trail. When the audit trail reaches the specified size, looks for a backup audit trail. If a backup audit trail is available, recording is switched from the audit trail to the backup trail (see audsys(1M) for more information). If a backup audit trail is not available, then the auditing system creates a new audit trail with the same base name but a different timestamp extension. The auditing system begins recording to the new audit trail. issues a warning message, when either switch point is approached. is typically spawned by (as part of the start-up process) when the system is booted up if the parameter AUDITING is set to 1 in file can also be started any time by a privileged user. Once invoked, monitors, periodically sleeping and "waking up" at intervals. Note that does not produce any messages when the audit system is disabled. is restricted to privileged users. Options recognizes the following options: Specify the file or tty to which warning messages are directed. By default, warning messages are sent to the console. Note that the warning messages apply to the diagnostic messages that generates messages concerning the status of the audit system, as well as the messages that the scheduled task (see below) may print out to the standard output and error file. Error messages caused by wrong usage of are sent to the standard output (where is invoked). Note: The file given to the option must exist and must be writable by the user who started (normally root during system startup) according to the system call. See access(2). Specify the FileSpaceSwitch by a number ranging from 0 to 100. When the file system that contains the current audit trail has less than fss percent free space remaining, looks for a backup audit trail. If available, the backup trail is designated as the new audit trail. If no backup trail is available, the auditing system creates a new audit trail with the same base name but a different timestamp extension and begins recording to it. The fss parameter must be a larger number than the min_free parameter of the file system to ensure that the switch takes place before min_free is reached. By default, fss is 20 percent. Specify the wake-up switch-point frequency in minutes. The wake-up frequency is calculated based on sp_freq and the current capacity of the audit trail and the file system. The calculated wake-up frequency at any time before the switch points is larger than sp_freq. As the size of the audit trail or the file system's free space approaches the switch points, the wake-up frequency approaches sp_freq. sp_freq can be any positive real number. The default sp_freq is 1 (minute). Specify that warning messages be sent before the switch points. warning is an integer ranging from 0 through 100. The higher the warning, the closer to the switch points warning messages are issued. For example, warning set to 50 causes warning messages to be sent half-way before the switch points are reached. warning set to 100 causes warning messages to be sent only after the designated switch points are reached and a switch is not possible due to a missing backup trail. By default, warning is 90. Note: The warning message is not sent if the audit trail size grows beyond the switch points in between two consecutive audomon wakeup intervals. In this case, only performs the switch to next audit trail. Make more verbose. This option causes to also print out the next wake-up time. Specify a command line to run after a successful audit trail switch. When the trail is switched from, for example, OldTrail to NewTrail, runs the command: The command string must be specified as an absolute path. Any shell meta-characters and wildcards are expanded by but are expanded by the shell. The command is executed with a real uid and effective uid of 0 in a non-chrooted environment. The command must make minimal assumptions about the environment. For example, the command needs to set environment variables such as its working directory, and its groups. Note: To use this feature, do not explicitly specify the next audit trail using audsys(1M)). EXAMPLES
Example 1: The above command starts the daemon with the following expected behaviors, assuming auditing system was started using o sleeps at least 1 minute at intervals. o When the size of current audit trail reaches 1000 * 90% = 900 kbytes, or the file system that contains the current audit trail has reached (100%-20%) * 90% = 72% full, starts printing out warning messages to the console. o When the size of current audit trail reaches 1000 kbytes, or the file system that contains the current audit trail has reached 100% - 20% = 80% full, switches recording data to: where yyyymmdd_HHMM is replaced by the time when the switch has happened. o After the switch succeeded, invokes the following command: to copy to a remote system assuming that is what the given script intends to do. Example 2: To stop daemon that is already running, use: WARNINGS
All modifications made to the audit system are lost upon reboot. To make the changes permanent, set in AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
audsys(1M), audit(5). audomon(1M)