Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crontab -e error
Operating Systems Linux crontab -e error Post 302155288 by dougk on Thursday 3rd of January 2008 11:53:01 AM
Old 01-03-2008
similar problem

Hi all.

Am having a similar problem. when I edit a user's crontab as root using crontab -u user -e. the users cron job runs but when i log in as the user and edit the crontab it doesn't run.

could it be the permissions on the users' /var/spool/cron/user

thx.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unexpected crontab error

Yesterday i installed a new cron on solaris box. After a few minutes after loading the cron, i got the following error. Your "crontab" on machine_name ! unexpected end of line This entry has been ignored. Do any of you have any idea about this error ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab error

So I'm trying to set up a simple cron job to copy the contents of a folder to my local machine. When it's ran the following output is produced: sh: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected Here's line 1: scp -r user@host:/cygdrive/c/logfolder1/ /log_files/$(date +%m_%d_%Y) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kclerks11
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab : bad minute error

when i say $crontab z it says ==> "z":6: bad minute "z":6: bad minute errors in crontab file, can't install. any clue why its happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab error

I have a script which is called in a crontab. The script calls for 2 args when ran on the command line The crontab line: 05 0-23 * * 0-6 /path/name %arg1 %arg1 I get the following output Your "cron" job on server /path/name produced the following output: Must be attached to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Crontab error

Hi, I have following crontab en my user: */5 * * * * command it's don't run every Five minutes, why? Anyone know what is it happend? Thankyou. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peluso
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error using crontab -e

I am trying to create a crontab job for my Oracle logon. I added oracle to the cron.allow file but when I try the crontab -e I get: Xlib:connection to 0:0 refused by server Xlib:Client is not authorized to connect to server Error:Cannot open display "0:0" crontab temporary file empty when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dman110168
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting error when running script through crontab

Hi all, I wrote small script for Solaris and when I am running it through command prompt its ok, but when I trying to run it using crontab, i am getting error like: ld.so.1: dbloader: fatal: libACE.so: open failed: No such file or directory /tmp/file.sh: line 5: 8304 Killed ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error when trying to edit crontab

Hi Guys, I need to edit the crontab on one of my unix systems. When I execute crontab -e, nothing happens, then I get an error '666' and can't type anything else at the cli. I tried resizing the window, but still got the same error. I'm using the run user and I've checked the permissions on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab setting error

Hi All, I have created crontab using following steps- 1) crontab -e (edited the file with) 0 10 * * 1-5 /home/user01/exercise/cron.sh 2) then saved this file with :wq 3) cron.sh contains the code- #!/bin/bash DAY=`date +%a` mkdir abc_${DAY} 4) done the execut permision... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
3 Replies

10. Solaris

crontab error

Hi, I run crontab -l ,then i got error message like "crontab: can't open your crontab file." I checked for entry in cron.allow and entry was present, nothing in cron.deny. Note: It is working for another user. Can someone suggest? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] crontab [-elr] DESCRIPTION
crontab is the program used to install, deinstall, or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in ISC Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var/cron, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the /var/cron/allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /var/cron/allow file does not exist but the /var/cron/deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /var/cron/deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, depending on the compiled in settings, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or everyone will be allowed to use this command. On NetBSD everyone is allowed to use this command. The default maximum size for a crontab is 256 kilobytes, but this may be changed for all users on the system by putting the desired maximum size (in bytes) in the /var/cron/maxtabsize file. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/var/cron/allow Optional list of users that are allowed to use crontab. /var/cron/deny Optional list of users that are disallowed to use crontab. /var/cron/maxtabsize Maximum size of crontab files. Defaults to 256 kilobytes. /var/cron/tabs/ Directory containing the individual user crontab files, named after the user. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic Version 3 AT&T UNIX syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
May 6, 2010 BSD