Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: eval in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting eval in bash Post 302155012 by pankai on Wednesday 2nd of January 2008 04:39:40 PM
Old 01-02-2008
Just replied to a wrong thread.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts. Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) : exec eval source I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much. Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

EVal

Hi All, I'm running some encrypted data through a script I wrote. In order to do this, I'm using eval to resolve some of my variables. At the moment, when I use eval to resolve, it strips out some of my encrypted values, and totally drops some others. For example if I have the value ab1"3 it drops... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

eval help

I am trying to expand the variable $user in my alias command and tried several variations of eval but can't seem to get it to work. The end result should be either: oracle_user='sudo su - oracle ' or oracle_user='sudo su - oracle1 ' user=$(grep '^oracle:' /etc/passwd | cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange result of eval, how does eval really work with ssh?

Hi all, some small script with eval turned me to crazy. my OS is linux Linux s10-1310 2.6.16.53-0.8.PTF.434477.3.TDC.0-smp #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 06:07:27 PDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux below script works well #!/bin/bash eval ssh remotehost date eval ssh remotehost ls below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on eval please

Hello All, Since my variables are nested I use eval to populate the data. I have an ambiguity here when eval is used along with & say I have the below variable url="www.unix.com" , this come from function call as argument. I want to take this into another variable say... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in eval eval command to print html tags

anyone has any info on why this is complaining??? vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ zoneCounter=1 vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ optUsage1=23% vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ eval eval echo "<th>Zone $zoneCounter </th><th align=\"left\"> \$optUsage$zoneCounter </th>" -bash: syntax error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in eval eval command to print html tags

anyone has any info on why this is complaining??? vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ zoneCounter=1 vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ optUsage1=23% vivek@vivek-c5e55ef2e ~/TAC $ eval eval echo "<th>Zone $zoneCounter </th><th align=\"left\"> \$optUsage$zoneCounter </th>" -bash: syntax error... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sourcing Env file with eval works with ksh but not BASH

Hi, I am running this on Redhat 5.10 I have a simple test script called test.sh which has the following contents and it uses the BASH shebang. ------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash eval `/tmp/filereader.pl /tmp/envfile.txt` echo "TESTPATH=$TESTPATH" ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
28 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[BASH] eval command not expanding variables as expected.

Hi Guys, I wrote a collection of bash functions years ago and now need to use them again but I'm getting some error messages when eval tries to expand the variables names. I recollect that I used the shopt command to set one of the options but I can't quite remember the command that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
8 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux