Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help to escape special characters in Korn shell script Post 302154329 by Cameron on Saturday 29th of December 2007 06:48:45 AM
Old 12-29-2007
You could have also gone with ...
Code:
[mddev:/home/cameron]
$ print 'Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt"'
Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't stop shell interpreting special characters

I am struggling with the following sample code: array1=(a b c d) array2=(* * * *) print ${array1} print ${array2} It returns 'c' and the name of a file in the directory I'm in. I can't for the life of me work out how to prevent the shell interpreting the '*' and just get it to return... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Doug97
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print $1 escape all special characters

I'm using awk '{print $1}' and it works most of the time to print the contents of a mysql query loop, but occationally I get a field with some special character in it, is there a way to tell awk to ignore all special characters between my FS? I have >186K records, so building a list of ALL special... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace new line with <br /> & escape special characters

Hi, I wish to replace a new line with br (html) but it doesn't seem to work message=$(echo ${FORM_message} | tr '\r' '<br \/>' ) what it gives me seems to be ... b...? I am also having problem escaping hash sign in cut command: list=$(echo "$line" | cut -d'\#;\#' -f1) ; my intention is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ted_chou12
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell to insert cyrillic characters into the databse

i have written a shell script that reads a csv file and inserts tokenized strings into the database. the problem comes when the csv file has cyrillic characters. how do i set the parameters in my shell script(korn shell) so that any characters can be inserted into the database. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to escape special characters

Hello Everyone, I need to read an encrypted password from the user and update that value in an xml file. I am trying to use "sed" for searching the appropriate tag and replacing this new value that get from the user. Since the encrypted password can contain special characters(like /,\,&,etc),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majose
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape Special Characters in Expect programming?

Hi, I have written a unix expect utility "ssh-login.exp" which connects (ssh) to remote host and execute some shell script. I am calling this "ssh-login.exp" utility from another shell script. "ssh-login.exp" takes username, password, host and shell script path to execute on remote host. All... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mahesh Desai
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto escape script to escape special chars in script args

This is a bit off the wall, but I often need to run scripts where there are argument values that contain special characters. For example, $ ./process.exe -t M -N -o temp.mol.s -i ../molfiles/N,N\',N\'\'-trimethylbis\(hexamethylene\)triamine.mol && sfile_space_to_tab.sh temp.mol.s temp.s It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape all special characters?

I have an application which I am integrating with that accepts the password via a CLI. I am running in to issues with passwords that contain special characters. I tried to escape them all, but I ran in to an issue where I cannot escape the characters ' ] My attempt is as follows: $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMG1978
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)