Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count occurances of a character in a file Post 302153217 by Shivdatta on Monday 24th of December 2007 01:25:40 AM
Old 12-24-2007
Count occurances of a character in a file

I want to find the number of occurences of a character in a file.
How do i do it.

Eg:
$cat file1.txt
Welcome to World of Unix.
$

If i want to find the occurences of 'o' then I should be getting 3.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find occurances of a directory and count

I am writing my first shell script to do the following: Find all occurrences of a directory from the pwd Delete the directory (which is a hidden directory) Provide feedback w/ the number of directories deleted The problems I am having are two-fold: The user may not have the appropriate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number chracters occurances in a line

Hi Could anybody tell me how to count the number of occurances of a character within a LINE. actually i have a single line with words seperated with '+' chracter e.g. abc+def+ghj+jkl+asd i want to separte the words above. Please provide the necessary logic in the form of a SHELL... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurances in a file

Hi, I have a fixed width file in the following format Sr.No A.No Name 1 2 PPP 3 4 PPP 5 6 TTT 7 8 OOO 9 10 OOO 11 12 OOO The 3rd column starts at position 10 and ends at 15. I want to count the number of occurances of each Name and output to a file Example in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines based on occurances of a particular character in a file

Hi, Is there any way to merge two lines based on specific occurance of a character in a file. I am having a flat file which contains multiple records. Each row in the file should contain specified number of delimiter. For a particular row , if the delimiter count is not matched with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of X Y Z in a file in 1 go.

Hi. I need to count multiple occurrences of X Y Z in a file in 1 go. At the moment I have the following scripts: ssh readonly@$ServerIP 'YEAR=xx;DAY=xx;MONTH=xx;LMONTH=xx;for i in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 \ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23; do cat... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: msullivan
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first 3 occurances of a character in a file for each line

Hi all, I am very new to unix - ksh. I want to replace some characters in a file with some other, but only for first three occurances for each line. For eg: the first 3 occurances character ']' has to be replaced with ',' in each line. Please help. thanks Sreejith (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsreejithmenon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the occurances of numbers

I have a file as shown below. I need to count the unique occurrences of numbers in the first and second column only if the third column is <= 10. Otherwise print the corresponding numbers as zero. Thanks in advance!:) 58 80 40.74 76 80 9.78 76 80 8 12 6 9 30 28 8.23 45 12 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreaalex
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep pattern file and count occurances

Guys I am trying grep to read from pattern file and count occurances of each word. input is firstplace secondplace secondpot patternfile is place first second i want the following. 1-count number of times keywords in patternfile occurs in begining of each line in input file. so... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahfze
12 Replies
BBE(1)																	    BBE(1)

NAME
bbe - binary block editor SYNOPSIS
bbe [options]... DESCRIPTION
bbe is a sed-like editor for binary files. It performs binary transformations on the blocks of input stream. OPTIONS
bbe accepts the following options: -b, --block=BLOCK Block definition. -e, --expression=COMMAND Add the COMMAND to the commands to be executed. -f, --file=script-file Add the contest of script-file to commands. -o, --output=name Write output to name instead of standard output. -s, --suppress Suppress normal output, print only block contents. -?, --help List all available options and their meanings. -V, --version Show version of program. BLOCK can be defined as: N:M Where N'th byte starts a M bytes long block (first byte is 0). :M Block length in input stream is M. /start/:M String start starts M bytes long block. /start/:/stop/ String start starts the block and block ends to string stop. /start/: String start starts the block and block will end at next occurence of start. Only the first start is included to the block. :/stop/ Block starts at the beginning of input stream (or at the end of previous block) and ends at the next occurrence of stop. String stop will be included to the block. Special value '$' of M means the end of stream. Default value for block is 0:$, meaning the whole input stream. Both start and stop strings are included to block. Nonprintable characters can be escaped as nn decimal xnn hexadecimal nnn octal Character '' can be escaped as '\'. Escape codes 'a','',' ',' ','v','f',' ' and ';' can also be used. Length (N and M) can be defined as decimal (n), hexadecimal (xn) or octal (0n) value. COMMAND SYNOPSIS
bbe has two type of commands: block and byte commands, both are allways related to current block. That means that the input stream outside of block remains untouched. Block commands D [n] Delete the n'th block. Without n, all found blocks are deleted from the output stream. I string Insert the string string before the block. A string Append the string string at the end of block. J n Skip n blocks before executing commands after this command. L n Leave all blocks unmodified starting from block number n. Affects only commands after this command. N Before printing a block, the file name in which the block starts is printed. F f Before printing a block, the input stream offset at the begining of the block is printed. f can be H, D or O for Hexadecimal, Deci- mal or Octal format of offset. B f Before printing a block, the block number is printed (first block == 1) f can be H, D or O for Hexadecimal, Decimal or Octal format of block number. > file Before printing a block, the contents of file file is printed. < file After printing a block, the contents of file file is printed. Byte commands n in byte commands is offset from the beginning of current block (starts from zero). r n string Replace bytes starting at position n with string string. i n string Insert string starting at position n. p format The contents of block is printed in format defined by format. format can have any of the formats H, D, O, A and B for Hexadecimal, Decimal, Octal, Asciii and Binary. s/search/replace/ Replace all occurrences of search with replace. y/source/dest/ Translate bytes in source to the corresponding bytes in dest. Source and dest must have equal length. d n m|* Delete m bytes starting from the offset n. If * is defined instead of m, then all bytes starting from n are deleted. c from to Convert bytes from format from to to. Currently supported formats are: BCD Binary coded decimal ASC Ascii j n Commands after the j-command are ignored for first n bytes of the block. l n Commands after the l-command are ignored from n'th byte of the block. w file Write bytes from the current block to file file. Commands before w-command have effect to what will be written. %B or %nB in file will be replaced by current block number. n in %nB is field length, leading zero in n causes the block number to be left padded with zeroes. & c Performs binary and with c. | c Performs binary or with c. ^ c Performs binary xor with c. ~ Performs binary negation. u n c All bytes from start of the block to offset n are replaced by c. f n c All bytes starting from offset n to end of the block are replaced by c. x Exchange the contents of nibbles (half an octet) of bytes. Nonvisible characters in strings can be escaped same way as in block definition strings. Character '/' in s and y commands can be any visi- ble character. Note that the D, A, I, F, B, c, s, i, y, p, <, > and d commands cause the length of input and output streams to be different. EXAMPLES
bbe -e "s/c:\temp\data1.txt/c:\temp\data2.txt/" file1 all occurences of "c: empdata1.txt" in file file1 are changed to "c: empdata2.txt" bbe -b 0420:16 -e "r 4 x12x4a" file1 Two bytes starting at fifth byte of a 16 byte long block starting at offset 0420 (octal) in file1 are changed to hexadecimal values 12 and 4a. bbe -b :16 -e "A x0a" file1 Newline is added after every block, block length is 16. SEE ALSO
sed(1). AUTHOR
Timo Savinen <tjsa@iki.fi> 2006-11-02 BBE(1)