Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Uname
Operating Systems Linux Uname Post 302152772 by ghostdog74 on Friday 21st of December 2007 06:54:59 AM
Old 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dileepsp
what is the difference between

uname -m and uname -i

what it actually means
first thing you should do is look up your man page. man uname , or info uname

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

uname -S

hi , i have made a mistake :( on the production enviourment by change tha host name . after that i returned back the old name. but i think this will not afeect the system until reboot the machine. laso i tried to telnet the syetem by the host name not by the IP address and it works fine. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

2. AIX

uname -S newhostname

hi freinds recently i have change hostname node as using uname -s ******* but next time i saw the name using uname -n the name did t changed is that i have to reboot the system (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
4 Replies

3. Solaris

uname help

hi all, Operating System Name : Unix Sun Solaris Operating system release level : 5.10 Operating system version : Generic_137111-06 i know the release level that is kernel version Generic_137111-06 what is number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uname command

Hi, Can anyone let me know the -n option in uname command in unix? Gone through the man pages of uname, but unable to interpret. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tr command with uname -n

Using the command : echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s 'mil vrn qcm' 'mci pql qcm' it works,but this translation changes depending on the system. I'd like to define the following variables ,one for each system : mil22h_from='mil vrn frl' mil22h_to='mci vci fci' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierluigi.sala
4 Replies

6. Fedora

uname too vague?

Hi all, I am ssh'ed into a cluster and want to install a package. However, I don't know which type to chose (CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuSE are some of the options). I ran called uname with various arguments but none are specific... $ uname -n resolute.research... $ uname -i x86_64 $ uname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neurorad
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uname -a output

Can anyone please let me know the meaning of output of uname -a ? I am totally new to unix or linux and just thinking to start learning. When I run uname -a the output I get is - "Linux blx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

8. Solaris

uname -a

bssmsrv223:/ 53 ] uname -a SunOS bssmsrv223 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 bssmsrv223:/ 54 ] what does 118833-36 denotes in Generic_118833-36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Linux

Difference between UNAME and WHO

Hi, What is the exact output tells me when i issued UNAME and WHO ? Regards, Nantha.Y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies
UNAME(1)								FSF								  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname - print system information SYNOPSIS
uname [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Print certain system information. With no OPTION, same as -s. -a, --all print all information, in the following order: -s, --kernel-name print the kernel name -n, --nodename print the network node hostname -r, --kernel-release print the kernel release -v, --kernel-version print the kernel version -m, --machine print the machine hardware name -p, --processor print the processor type -i, --hardware-platform print the hardware platform -o, --operating-system print the operating system --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for uname is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uname programs are properly installed at your site, the command info uname should give you access to the complete manual. uname (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 UNAME(1)