Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep string and find line before Post 302151666 by summer_cherry on Sunday 16th of December 2007 11:02:08 PM
Old 12-17-2007
awk

Hi,

To be honest, i am not quiet sure about your req. I suppose it is as follow, please try it and find whether any help for you.

INPUT:
Code:
name_group1
a
a2
A
sdlfk
name_group2
b
b1
dfjkl
e4r
name_group3
dflk
line
this is a good idea

OUTPUT:
Code:
name_group1/name_group2/name_group3 according to your input string to be searched

CODE:
Code:
echo "Input string"
read str
nawk -v s="$str" 'BEGIN{
n=""
print s
}
{
if ($0 ~ /name/)
{
	n=$0
}
if (index($0,s)!=0)
{
	if (n!="")
		print n
	n==""
}
}' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and print a string from the line below it

I know how to grep, copy and paste a string from a line. Now, what i want to do is to find a string and print a string from the line below it. To demonstrate: Name 1: ABC Age: 3 Sex: Male Name 2: DEF Age: 4 Sex: Male Output: 3 Male I know how to get "3". My biggest problem is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find out line number of matching string using grep

Hi all, I want to display line number for matching string in a file. can anyone please help me. I used grep -n "ABC" file so it displays 6 ABC. But i only want to have line number,i don't want that it should prefix matching context with line number. Actually my original... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string using grep & print the line above or below that.

Hi All, Please tell me how can I Find a string using grep & print the line above or below that in solaris? Please share as I am unable to use grep -A or grep -B as it is not working on Solaris. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaib
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on string and printing line after until another string has been found

Hello Everyone, I just started scripting this week. I have no background in programming or scripting. I'm working on a script to grep for a variable in a log file Heres what the log file looks like. The x's are all random clutter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx START: xxxxxxxxxxxx... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxc23816
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and write a value to next line of found string

Hi, I have two variables x and y. i need to find a particular string in a file, a workflow name and then insert the values of x and y into the next lines of the workflow name. basically it is like as below wf_xxxxxx $$a= $$b= $$c= figo $$d=bentley i need to grep the 'wf_xxxx' and then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a line using a condition and replace a string in that line

Hello, I have a 100 line code. I have given a sample of it below: ABC*654654*1*54.54*21.2*87*1*654654654654 CCC*FS*FS*SFD*DSF GGG*FGH*CGB*FBDFG*FGDG ABC*654654*1*57.84*45.4*88*2*6546546545 CCC*WSF*SG*FGH*GHJ ADA*AF*SFG*DFGH*FGH*FGTH I need to select the line starting with "ABC" its... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
6 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Find a line using a condition and replace a string in that line

Hello, I have a 100 line code. I have given a sample of it below: ABC*654654*1*54.54*21.2*87*1*654654654654 CCC*FS*FS*SFD*DSF GGG*FGH*CGB*FBDFG*FGDG ABC*654654*1*57.84*45.4*88*2*6546546545 CCC*WSF*SG*FGH*GHJ ADA*AF*SFG*DFGH*FGH*FGTH I need to select the line starting with "ABC" its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and its position in a line from another string

Hello guys, would you please help me with this? this is the line inside a file: first line Something Today YYDDPPSVXIPYYY0XXXOFFS00000000000? I'd like to find the position of string XXX from string PYYY In the example above XXX starts from 6th position from PYYY desired... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)