Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rename files in remote server via ftp Post 302150931 by dineshr85 on Thursday 13th of December 2007 04:00:07 AM
Old 12-13-2007
rename files in remote server via ftp

Hi All,

I want to rename set of files in the remote server which iam unable to do . i can rename only one file
at a time . for example
ftp $REMOTESERVER
{
rename $NAME1 $NAME2
} is working

whereas

ftp $REMOTESERVER
{
rename $NAME1*.dat $NAME2*.data
} is not working ... Its checking for the file $NAME1*.dat

any suggestions

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files from remote server to local server

Hi, I am facing a weired problem in my FTP script. I want to transfer multiple files from remote server to local server everyday, using mget * in my script. I also, want to send an email for successful or failed FTP. My script works for file transfer, but it don't send any mail. There is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I copy files on remote server with ftp ?

I just realize the only way is to download and upload again.. is not possible to copy them remotely with the ftp protocol ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to rename file in ftp server .Net:FTP perl

Hello All, I am trying to connect to ftp server and get the files. Also i need to rename the file in other ftp dir. rename method is not allowing me to rename the file in other dir. When i tried copy command by using net::FTP:FILE then perl says it is not installed. Can some body help me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp'ing multiple files to the remote server

unix shell script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files from different directory from remote server to one directory in local

Hi All, I want to search for .log files from folders and sub folders in remote server and FTP them to one particular folder in the local machine. I dont want to copy the entire directory tree structure, just have to take all the .log files from all the folders by doing a recursive search from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dassv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy down remote files and rename them to include the server name with full path

I need to pull down a good bit of files for another support team for an upgrade project. I have a server.list with all of the server names. I need to do two parts: FIRST: I have this example, but it does not list the server name in front of each line. #! /bin/bash for server in $(<... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnatlas
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename Files in remote directory

Hi All, I am creating a script which will connect to remote server with ssh and perfom below. - Search in a directory - Search for a pattern - Check the size if greater than the size_limit rename the file. Below is the code i have written. ssh user@host <<EOF find /tmp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename (move) multiple files on remote server using sftp

I want to rename (move) multiple files on remote server. I tried the following command to move all TXT files from my_dir directory to /new_dir. But it does not work. Any help? #!/bin/ksh sftp -dev3 << ABC cd my_dir $(for i in TXT; do echo "ls *.$i" ; rename $x /new_dir/$x;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Soham
1 Replies
RENAME(3)								 1								 RENAME(3)

rename - Renames a file or directory

SYNOPSIS
bool rename (string $oldname, string $newname, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to rename $oldname to $newname, moving it between directories if necessary. If $newname exists, it will be overwritten. PARAMETERS
o $oldname - Note The old name. The wrapper used in $oldname must match the wrapper used in $newname. o $newname - The new name. o $context - Note Context support was added with PHP 5.0.0. For a description of contexts, refer to "Streams". RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.1 | | | | | | | rename(3) can now rename files across drives in | | | Windows. | | | | | 5.0.0 | | | | | | | rename(3) can now also be used with some URL | | | wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrap- | | | pers" for a listing of which wrappers support | | | rename(3). | | | | | 4.3.3 | | | | | | | rename(3) may now be able to rename files across | | | partitions on *nix based systems, provided the | | | appropriate permissions are held. Warnings may be | | | generated if the destination filesystem doesn't | | | permit chown() or chmod() system calls to be made | | | on files -- for example, if the destination | | | filesystem is a FAT filesystem. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example with rename(3) <?php rename("/tmp/tmp_file.txt", "/home/user/login/docs/my_file.txt"); ?> SEE ALSO
copy(3), unlink(3), move_uploaded_file(3). PHP Documentation Group RENAME(3)