Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rename files in remote server via ftp Post 302150931 by dineshr85 on Thursday 13th of December 2007 04:00:07 AM
Old 12-13-2007
rename files in remote server via ftp

Hi All,

I want to rename set of files in the remote server which iam unable to do . i can rename only one file
at a time . for example
ftp $REMOTESERVER
{
rename $NAME1 $NAME2
} is working

whereas

ftp $REMOTESERVER
{
rename $NAME1*.dat $NAME2*.data
} is not working ... Its checking for the file $NAME1*.dat

any suggestions

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files from remote server to local server

Hi, I am facing a weired problem in my FTP script. I want to transfer multiple files from remote server to local server everyday, using mget * in my script. I also, want to send an email for successful or failed FTP. My script works for file transfer, but it don't send any mail. There is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I copy files on remote server with ftp ?

I just realize the only way is to download and upload again.. is not possible to copy them remotely with the ftp protocol ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to rename file in ftp server .Net:FTP perl

Hello All, I am trying to connect to ftp server and get the files. Also i need to rename the file in other ftp dir. rename method is not allowing me to rename the file in other dir. When i tried copy command by using net::FTP:FILE then perl says it is not installed. Can some body help me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp'ing multiple files to the remote server

unix shell script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files from different directory from remote server to one directory in local

Hi All, I want to search for .log files from folders and sub folders in remote server and FTP them to one particular folder in the local machine. I dont want to copy the entire directory tree structure, just have to take all the .log files from all the folders by doing a recursive search from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dassv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy down remote files and rename them to include the server name with full path

I need to pull down a good bit of files for another support team for an upgrade project. I have a server.list with all of the server names. I need to do two parts: FIRST: I have this example, but it does not list the server name in front of each line. #! /bin/bash for server in $(<... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnatlas
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename Files in remote directory

Hi All, I am creating a script which will connect to remote server with ssh and perfom below. - Search in a directory - Search for a pattern - Check the size if greater than the size_limit rename the file. Below is the code i have written. ssh user@host <<EOF find /tmp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename (move) multiple files on remote server using sftp

I want to rename (move) multiple files on remote server. I tried the following command to move all TXT files from my_dir directory to /new_dir. But it does not work. Any help? #!/bin/ksh sftp -dev3 << ABC cd my_dir $(for i in TXT; do echo "ls *.$i" ; rename $x /new_dir/$x;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Soham
1 Replies
FTPD(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   FTPD(8)

NAME
ftpd, in.ftpd, setup.anonftp - DARPA Internet File Transfer Protocol server SYNOPSIS
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd tcpd ftp /usr/sbin/in.ftpd DESCRIPTION
Ftpd is the DARPA Internet File Transfer Prototocol server process. The server uses the TCP protocol and listens at the port specified in the ``ftp'' service specification; see services(5). The ftp server currently supports the following ftp requests; case is not distinguished. Request Description ABOR abort previous command ACCT specify account (ignored) ALLO allocate storage (vacuously) APPE append to a file CDUP change to parent of current working directory CWD change working directory DELE delete a file HELP give help information LIST give list files in a directory (``ls -lA'') MKD make a directory MODE specify data transfer mode NLST give name list of files in directory (``ls'') NOOP do nothing PASS specify password PASV prepare for server-to-server transfer PORT specify data connection port PWD print the current working directory QUIT terminate session RETR retrieve a file RMD remove a directory RNFR specify rename-from file name RNTO specify rename-to file name STOR store a file STOU store a file with a unique name STRU specify data transfer structure TYPE specify data transfer type USER specify user name XCUP change to parent of current working directory XCWD change working directory XMKD make a directory XPWD print the current working directory XRMD remove a directory The remaining ftp requests specified in Internet RFC 959 are recognized, but not implemented. The ftp server will abort an active file transfer only when the ABOR command is preceded by a Telnet "Interrupt Process" (IP) signal and a Telnet "Synch" signal in the command Telnet stream, as described in Internet RFC 959. Ftpd interprets file names according to the ``globbing'' conventions used by csh(1). This allows users to utilize the metacharacters ``*?[]{}~''. Ftpd authenticates users according to three rules. 1) The user name must be in the password data base, /etc/passwd, and not have a null password. In this case a password must be pro- vided by the client before any file operations may be performed. 2) The user name must not appear in the file /etc/ftpusers. 3) If the user name is ``anonymous'' or ``ftp'', an anonymous ftp account must be present in the password file (user ``ftp''). In this case the user is allowed to log in by specifying any password (by convention this is given as the client host's name). In the last case, ftpd takes special measures to restrict the client's access privileges. The server performs a chroot(2) command to the home directory of the ``ftp'' user. In order that system security is not breached, it is recommended that the ``ftp'' subtree be con- structed with care; the following rules are recommended. ~ftp) Make the home directory owned by ``ftp'' and unwritable by anyone. ~ftp/bin) Make this directory owned by the super-user and unwritable by anyone. The program ls(1) must be present to support the list com- mands. This program should have mode 111. ~ftp/etc) Make this directory owned by the super-user and unwritable by anyone. The files passwd(5) and group(5) must be present for the ls command to work properly. These files should be mode 444. ~ftp/pub) Make this directory mode 755 and owned by the super-user. Create directories in it owned by users if those users want to manage an anonymous ftp directory. ~ftp/pub/incoming) Optionally create this directory for anonymous uploads. Make it mode 777. The FTP daemon will create files with mode 266, so remote users can write a file, but only local users can do something with it. The script setup.anonftp can be used to create or check an anonymous FTP tree. SEE ALSO
ftp(1). BUGS
The anonymous account is inherently dangerous and should avoided when possible. FTPD(8)