Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to get first two characters from a word Post 302149586 by radoulov on Thursday 6th of December 2007 03:57:26 PM
Old 12-06-2007
bash and ksh93:

Code:
echo ${a:2:1}

zsh:

Code:
print $a[3]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Word Count without any characters but the Output String

Hi all, I am logging any access to a server, and i wanted to write a script which tells me how much entries there are. The Problem is that "wc -l log" outputs the correct number of lines but with the name of the file attached. is there any nice possibility to solve this that i ONLY... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JP_II
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the characters in a word

Hi, How can I split the characters in a word? For Eg: If my input is: command my output should be: c o m m a n d Please help me in doing it so. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chella
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting last characters of a word

Hi All is there a way to delete last n characters from a word like say i have employee_new i want to delete _new. and just get only employee I want this in AIX Shell scripting Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaryan4545
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to fetch first two characters from a word in perl

Hi All, I have a word "DE_PR_Package__Basic" , i need to check if the first two characters of this words is DE or something else using perl script. Can anyone pls let me know how to proceed? Thanks in advance. Giri! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Characters to a Word List

If I had a word list with a large amount of words in it, how would I (using a unix command) add, say, 123 to the end of each word? EDIT: The word list is stored in a large text file. I need a command that applies the ending to each word in the file and saves the result in a new text file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: evillion
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find a word in a file, plus the next 6 characters?

I plan to use sed in a script to replace a string. My problem is the last 6 characters of the word to be replaced can be different each time, plus it's not always in the same spot on the line so I can't use cut or nawk to get the field. So I am looking for a way to find a certain word in a file,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikayla73
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in file then get following characters

Hello, I have several xml files from which I want to find and return a particular string I want to locate the InId="00000008". Now that is inlcuded within a tag and ofcourse the number is different every time this is what I came up with given that after greping the line that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TasosARISFC
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script?

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word description excluding weird characters like $$#$#@$#@***$# and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. My final goal is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word "description" excluding weird characters like $&lmp and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. I have attached the input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a word that contains minimum 5 or 6 same characters

Hi, I am looking for a solution to grep for minimum 5 or 6 characters in a file, otherwise ignore. Example 1121221222 2212121211 1221122122 2121222222 2222112222 1211221121 So it greps 5 X 1 or 6 X 1 2212121211 1211221121 Thanks for you help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
6 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSuUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr - Use 4-argument "substr" instead of writing "substr($foo, 2, 6) = $bar". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway discourages the use of "substr()" as an lvalue, instead recommending that the 4-argument version of "substr()" be used instead. substr($something, 1, 2) = $newvalue; # not ok substr($something, 1, 2, $newvalue); # ok The four-argument form of "substr()" was introduced in Perl 5.005. This policy does not report violations on code which explicitly specifies an earlier version of Perl (e.g. "use 5.004;"). CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
"substr" in perlfunc (or "perldoc -f substr"). "4th argument to substr" in perl5005delta AUTHOR
Graham TerMarsch <graham@howlingfrog.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Graham TerMarsch. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)