Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users /etc/mnttab is zero length - I have done a silly thing Post 302149118 by porter on Wednesday 5th of December 2007 01:21:33 AM
Old 12-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
I understand that /etc/mnttab is actually implemented as a screwy filesystem itself on Solaris.
On Solaris 7 (I think) it behaved as just a file, where the mount/umount programs adjusted it, but the umount system call didn't touch it.

You could use the tried and tested Windows solution,..... reboot it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Silly question

Are GNOME or javadsktop supported of the box on Solaris 10 on Ultra (SUNBlade 1500) ? I'could switch desktops to KDE at CDE logon. But when I tried to use the JavaDesktop it simply returns me back to the log on screen of CDE. How do I conigure to the latest GNOME and.or JavaDesktop if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miket
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

bdf , /etc/fstab , /etc/mnttab

Hi all, Would like to know if it is possible to rearrange the order that mounts are displayed when the 'bdf' command is issued. An example of what I mean is, currently I see the following ... $ bdf -l Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol3 524288 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

silly question

How do I go about finding the number of unique words in a file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EECSDAVE
3 Replies

4. Linux

veritas hasf /etc/mnttab

Hi All, Where is now the /etc/mnttab if you are in veritas sfha for red hat es 4? Thanks in advance for any comments. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/vfstab vs /etc/mnttab

what is the difference between the /etc/vfstab and /etc/mnttab? when i check both files, the content is almost the same. can you enlighten me? what i know is /etc/vfstab is used for hard mounts. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrist
4 Replies

6. Solaris

My /etc/mnttab file is showing ro permission for /usr

Hi All, My current /usr utilization is 100%.As i don't have another harddisk i decided to delete some unnecessary files under /usr.But,while deleteing it is giving error "it is a readonly filesystem".I checked /etc/mnttab file it is showing the following entry /dev/lofi/1 /usr hsfs ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navjotmannan
3 Replies

7. Solaris

what is the difference between /etc/mnttab and /etc/vfstab

what is the difference between /etc/mnttab and /etc/vfstab???? what are these files used for one time i removed mnttab file from my solaris box. infact i renamed it and my solaris box was not booting properly. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
12 Replies

8. Solaris

MNTTAB and NFS questions

SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise I have been asked to move all file from /CV to /EABATCH looking at our mnttab I see these two entries. wdcprodhome:/eabatch/EABATCH /EABATCH nfs nodevices,bg,intr,xattr,zone=cbp011,dev=5500010 1288539528 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
0 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Might be silly question

Hi Team, In case if i want to delete one of my posting thread.. can i delete that? Just asking to know.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/mnttab empty UNIXware 7.1.3

Hi Guys New to this forum so apologies if posted in wrong place. Got a unixware 7.1.3 system (I know !). df -k produces no output which I believe is because /etc/mnttab is empty. Can /etc/mnttab be re-built ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deel
2 Replies
quotaon(1M)                                               System Administration Commands                                               quotaon(1M)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff - turn ufs file system quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-v] filesystem... quotaon -a [-v] quotaoff [-v] filesystem... quotaoff -a [-v] DESCRIPTION
quotaon turns on disk quotas for one or more ufs file systems. Before a file system may have quotas enabled, a file named quotas, owned by root, must exist in the root directory of the file system. See edquota(1M) for details on how to modify the contents of this file. quotaoff turns off disk quotas for one or more ufs file systems. The file systems specified must already be mounted. These commands update the mntopts field of the appropriate entries in /etc/mnttab to indicate when quotas are on or off for each file sys- tem. If quotas are on, the string quota will be added to mntopts; if quotas are off, the quota string is not present. filesystem must be either the mount point of a file system, or the block device on which the file system resides. OPTIONS
quotaon -a This option is normally used at boot time to enable quotas. It applies only to those file systems in /etc/vfstab which have ``rq'' in the mntopts field, are currently mounted ``rw'', and have a quotas file in the root directory. -v Display a message for each file system after quotas are turned on. quotaoff -a Force all file systems in /etc/mnttab to have their quotas disabled. -v Display a message for each file system affected. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of quotaon and quotaoff when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2 **31 bytes). FILES
/etc/mnttab mounted file systems /etc/vfstab list of default parameters for each file system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
edquota(1M), quota(1M), quotacheck(1M), repquota(1M), mnttab(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), largefile(5), quotactl(7I) SunOS 5.10 16 Sep 1996 quotaon(1M)