Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Absolute value
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Absolute value Post 302148918 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 4th of December 2007 06:26:23 AM
Old 12-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjiefreak
Hi vgersh99,

I saw this post and I wonder if I have an associative array for calculate an operation; how abs would work in this case.
sure, why not!
Quote:
Assume;

I have
count[$1]=$2-$1;

If I apply the one you suggested in earlier post,

can it be turned to;

count[$1]= ($4-$5)*(0.05);
if(count[$1]>=0){
count[$1]=count[$1];}
else
count[$1]=0-count[$1];
Code:
   count[$1]= ($4-$5)*(0.05)
   if(count[$1]<0) count[$1]=0-count[$1]

Quote:

Please advise. Really hope to hear from you soon! Thanks

-Jason

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting absolute value ksh

Hi, I am trying to find out how to get an absolute value for integer in ksh. I tried using abs... but that doesn't work ! this is the workaround I did, but isn't there an inbuilt function to get absolute value for any variable ! Please help as i am new to unix :confused: Thanks, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: icyhot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get absolute filename

How would I get the absolute filename of a selected file...I want to control click...I already have the context menu all set to run a script...I just need to be able to get the file name of the file I control clicked on. In windows it is as follows: set filename=%~f1 set name=%~n1 set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegate
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

absolute path

is cd ~ considered an absolute path? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kirichiko
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

absolute value

is there any function in unix which will convert a integer to absolute value with a single decimal point. suppose x=15232 y=x/1024=14.875 i want y to be 14.8 Similarly if y=6.29452 it should come as 6.3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

absolute sum

Hi, i want to caluculate sum and absolute sum information of the 2nd column. sum(abs(ENO)),sum(ENO) file1 contains the employee information. "abc","+10000.00","100" "bbc","-3000.00","400" "cbc","+20000.90","500" "dbc","-4000.00","600" output should get this Sum(abs(eno)) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by absolute value

Hi, I have a file as follows: |-30.0|Appls. executing in db manager currently = 2 |-80.0|Locks held currently = 1 | 90.0|High water mark (bytes) = 65536 |-50.0|Configured size (bytes) = 16777216 |-100.0|Current size (bytes) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute and maximum

I have a big file with 127 columns and 869 rows. What I am trying to do is to get the absolute value of all numbers in the file, and then get the maximum of each column. If this was for one column it wouldn't be a problem, I would use: awk '{ print ($1 >= 0) ? $1 : 0 - $1}' file > out1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Absolute value function

None know if exists a function/command that get the absolute value for a number? Thanks:) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steph85
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use absolute function?

Hello All, I am using following awk command in my shell script. I want to compare the value in column 2 and colum 3 after taking their absolute value. Column $2 and $3 can have any value positive or negative or both. awk -F"|" '{print $0,($2>$3?"F":"T")}' OFS='|' myfile.txt Your help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
2 Replies
abs(3C) 						   Standard C Library Functions 						   abs(3C)

NAME
abs, labs, llabs - return absolute value of integer SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int abs(int val); long labs(long lval); long long llabs(long long llval); DESCRIPTION
The abs() function returns the absolute value of its int operand. The labs() function returns the absolute value of its long operand. The llabs() function returns the absolute value of its long long operand. USAGE
In 2's-complement representation, the absolute value of the largest magnitude negative integral value is undefined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 24 Jul 2002 abs(3C)