Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file permission 000
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file permission 000 Post 302148588 by porter on Monday 3rd of December 2007 01:34:56 AM
Old 12-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex
i think no one can read the file.
root can read and write it. It would not surprise me if root could execute it as well.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Microsoft "Donates" $3,000,000,000 to Feds

Surreal quote from the news link below: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44615-2002Nov12.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to list a file in a folder containing 800,000 files using wildcard

Hi, I have a directory with possibly around 800,000 files in it. What is the fastest way to list file(s) in this directory with a wildcard. for example would ls -1 *.abcdefg.Z or find . -name "*.abcdefg.Z" be the fastest way to find all of the files that end with .abcdefg.Z... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

speed test +20,000 file existance checks too slow

Need to make a very fast file existence checker. Passing in 20-50K num of files In the code below ${file} is a file with a listing of +20,000 files. test_speed is the script. I am commenting out the results of <time test_speed try>. The normal "test -f" is much much too slow when a system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nullwhat
2 Replies

4. Programming

Unix File has 000 access when written

Good day! I would just like to ask about an issue I encountered. There is a Java program (version1.3) that we use that is hosted in Unix (HP-UX B.11.11 U), and one of its functions copies a file and writes it to another directory. It usually runs fine, but one day, it wrote a file that had 000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike_s_6
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can root user run chmod 000 permission shell script?

Hi, I have a shell script file which is set to access permission 000. When I login as root (sudo su) and try to run this script, I am getting the Permission denied error. I have read somewhere that root admin user can execute any kind of permission script. Then why this behavior? However, I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing 000 permission files

Hi all, is there a way to list all files with 000 permission and not get "Permission denied" message? I would like to have names of all those files in one text file. At the moment, i have this " find . -type d \( -name . -o -prune \) -perm 000 > text.txt " and it is not working. Can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb2
8 Replies
RM(1)							      General Commands Manual							     RM(1)

NAME
rm, rmdir - remove (unlink) files SYNOPSIS
rm [ -fri ] file ... rmdir dir ... DESCRIPTION
Rm removes the entries for one or more files from a directory. If an entry was the last link to the file, the file is destroyed. Removal of a file requires write permission in its directory, but neither read nor write permission on the file itself. If a file has no write permission and the standard input is a terminal, its permissions are printed and a line is read from the standard input. If that line begins with `y' the file is deleted, otherwise the file remains. No questions are asked when the -f (force) option is given. If a designated file is a directory, an error comment is printed unless the optional argument -r has been used. In that case, rm recur- sively deletes the entire contents of the specified directory, and the directory itself. If the -i (interactive) option is in effect, rm asks whether to delete each file, and, under -r, whether to examine each directory. Rmdir removes entries for the named directories, which must be empty. SEE ALSO
unlink(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Generally self-explanatory. It is forbidden to remove the file `..' merely to avoid the antisocial consequences of inadvertently doing something like `rm -r .*'. RM(1)