Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file permission 000
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file permission 000 Post 302148571 by zedex on Monday 3rd of December 2007 12:41:53 AM
Old 12-03-2007
Question file permission 000

hi all
i was reading some questions related to file permission if file has 000 permission then who can read the file ?

i think no one can read the file.
correct me if i am wrong

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Microsoft "Donates" $3,000,000,000 to Feds

Surreal quote from the news link below: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44615-2002Nov12.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to list a file in a folder containing 800,000 files using wildcard

Hi, I have a directory with possibly around 800,000 files in it. What is the fastest way to list file(s) in this directory with a wildcard. for example would ls -1 *.abcdefg.Z or find . -name "*.abcdefg.Z" be the fastest way to find all of the files that end with .abcdefg.Z... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

speed test +20,000 file existance checks too slow

Need to make a very fast file existence checker. Passing in 20-50K num of files In the code below ${file} is a file with a listing of +20,000 files. test_speed is the script. I am commenting out the results of <time test_speed try>. The normal "test -f" is much much too slow when a system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nullwhat
2 Replies

4. Programming

Unix File has 000 access when written

Good day! I would just like to ask about an issue I encountered. There is a Java program (version1.3) that we use that is hosted in Unix (HP-UX B.11.11 U), and one of its functions copies a file and writes it to another directory. It usually runs fine, but one day, it wrote a file that had 000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike_s_6
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can root user run chmod 000 permission shell script?

Hi, I have a shell script file which is set to access permission 000. When I login as root (sudo su) and try to run this script, I am getting the Permission denied error. I have read somewhere that root admin user can execute any kind of permission script. Then why this behavior? However, I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing 000 permission files

Hi all, is there a way to list all files with 000 permission and not get "Permission denied" message? I would like to have names of all those files in one text file. At the moment, i have this " find . -type d \( -name . -o -prune \) -perm 000 > text.txt " and it is not working. Can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb2
8 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be an octal number or a symbolic change to the existing mode. A mode is an octal number constructed from the OR of the following modes. 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission, and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), a (append only), and l (exclusive access). Only the owner of a file or the group leader of its group may change the file's mode. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/chmod.c SEE ALSO
ls(1), stat(2), stat(5) CHMOD(1)