Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rsync - Preserve owner/group with different UID/GID Post 302148500 by Smiling Dragon on Sunday 2nd of December 2007 05:16:07 PM
Old 12-02-2007
The mapping of username to UID (and groupname to GID) stays within the server. The only way to get the names in sync is to keep the UIDs in sync or to chown the files after doing the copy sorry.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

negative UID/GID?!! I can see 'em but what the hell do they mean?!

Just as the subject asks :) Thanks! hellz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
2 Replies

2. Solaris

NFS Mount UID and GID

I have a truble with NFS mount. When i mount remote dir, then all permissions changes! For example: # mkdir /data # mount 10.1.1.100:/var/data /data # ls -l /data drwxr-xr-x 7 nobody nobody 5632 Oct 22 14:55 file1 drwxr-xr-x 4 nobody nobody 512 Oct 22 14:55... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UID & GID of the running process

Hi, out of curosity this question just popped in my mind. Is there any way to find out the uid and gid of the running process ? If i do a ls -l of a program then it shows the uid/gid bit (if its set). I want to see as which user/group the program is running ..... is there any way to know this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankurjain
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GID & UID for HP-UX ?

Hi, can somebody tell me how to make directoriy in which all files will be generated as dir owner ? I'm able to add GID for directory group and files have group id like folder , but when i do same for user files still are created as user which creates them :( drwsrwsrwx 2 flexbul ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pp56825
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

preserve guid:uid tar / cp

hello, i've a backup of a xen image which was tar'ed. i extracted the tarfile with --preserve and moved it to the lvm partition useing cp -p to preserve the ownership informations of the files in this step too. but unfortunatly after extracting the archive some uid and guids which are present... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coffeecup
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Numeric uid and gid in ls -l command

I´m listing the contents of a directory using the command ls -lI get numeric uid and gid for some lines. example: drwxr-xr-x root root 1970-01-01 01:00 sys -rw-r--r-- 501 20 0 2010-08-04 14:54 shutdown.bravo.rc drwxr-x--- 501 20 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flocki
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing uid,gid

Hi, I am new to scrippting need little help, I would like to change uid, gid of exisisting user, example User A current uid=1,gid=2 would like to change uid=4,gid=5 I know the command to change uid,gid but after changing I have to change permissions on folders also which are belonging... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uid ,gid value change

Present /home/dsadm# id dsadm uid=0(root) gid=0(root) ---------------------------------- needs to be /home/dsadm> id dsadm uid=23186(dsadm) gid=16284(gdstage) Please provide the command/steps for the above uid, gid value change Thanks in advance for all your support . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
3 Replies

9. AIX

UID & GID instead of user name and group name

Hi Everyone, We are encountering the following issue on AIX 5.3. When we do ls -ltr the list displays only user id and group id instead of user name and group name. This is happening for all users except root. Whe we do ls -ltr with root user it shows perfectly fine. When we searched... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
25 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar extract: remap uid gid ?

OK, so simple question here: Is there anyway to REMAP, while extracting with tar, specific uid's and gid's on extracted files ? Background: The usual transfer between two servers with same literals username's names, but with different gid and uid. I would like, for example, files owned by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidodido
6 Replies
chown(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						 chown(1B)

NAME
chown - change owner SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/chown [-fR] owner[.group] filename... DESCRIPTION
chown changes the owner of the filenames to owner. The owner can be either a decimal user ID (UID) or a login name found in the password file. An optional group can also be specified. The group can be either a decimal group ID (GID) or a group name found in the GID file. In the default case, only the super-user of the machine where the file is physically located can change the owner. The system configura- tion option {_POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED} and the privileges PRIV_FILE_CHOWN and PRIV_FILE_CHOWN_SELF also affect who can change the ownership of a file. See chown(2) and privileges(5). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f Do not report errors. -R Recursively descend into directories setting the ownership of all files in each directory encountered. When symbolic links are encountered, their ownership is changed, but they are not traversed. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of chown when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). FILES
/etc/passwd Password file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), chown(2), group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), largefile(5), privileges(5) SunOS 5.11 21 Jun 2004 chown(1B)